For a recent edition of The Works, I sat down with — more like DM’ed with — the legend behind Furman’s famous instagram account, @missedconnections. What follows is a Q&A style recap of our conversation:
1. Why did you decide to start the account? What inspired you?
A friend at another school actually got a missed connection sent in about them and I didn’t know of anything like that at Furman. I honestly just thought it would be funny.
2. How has the account evolved over the past year and a half? Are you happy with its evolution, or do you wish it had stayed closer to your original intentions?
Initially it was intended to be just missed connections, however it has definitely evolved to be much more. I’m not mad at how it’s evolved, occasionally I wish it was primarily missed connections. But I do recognize that Furman is small and there’s only so many missed connections to go around, and the account has become something much bigger. It’s become a way for students to interact, voice their opinions, etc. I’ve heard from people who really like what I’m doing and those messages keep me going. I hope people enjoy what it’s become and, as long as it provides either some sort of entertainment or a safe space, I’m happy with that.
3. Have you heard about any of your posts actually leading to a match?
No haha, unfortunately not but I haven’t really asked. That would be so satisfying to know a real connection was made.
4. How do you define connection? Is it love, friendship, or something else? Do you think your account really creates connection?
Connection can be anything, a lot of the posts aren’t even about love or friendship, sometimes just recognizing a nice deed someone did for you or others brings connections too. I think the account does create connection. I know it can be controversial at times, but I think it’s a safe space for students to say what they want.
5. What do you envision for the future of the account? Will you pass it on once you graduate?
I would love to keep the account alive and pass it down. It’s become one of the bigger Instagram accounts for Furman students and I’m pretty proud of that. I hope missed connections remain the priority, but I also hope students see it as a place they can share their thoughts. Some people will DM me not even to post, just to talk. It’s cool that I can be a person that people can feel comfortable talking to, I try to be supportive when people come to me with personal things which is something I didn’t envision for the account. It’s definitely a plus.
6. Any hints on your identity??
Haha, nice try. As much as people always try and find out who I am, probably not going to happen. Have fun guessing!