New Music Monday

Do you listen to boring music? It is time to change that.
Unsplash
Welcome to New Music Monday– your weekly feature of recommended and reviewed songs that might not be on your typical queue.

Welcome to New Music Monday– your new weekly Arts & Culture feature. Each week, we will bring you a handful of songs that have been recommended by your fellow students and reviewed by us. These tunes may range from brand-new to old and forgotten, and others may be unknown or unfamiliar. Adherence to one music genre or style will not be tolerated, and we are always accepting submissions to be included in our lineup. Our mission: to provide the student body–you–with fresh sounds that might not be on your usual playlist. 

On this week’s queue…

1. “Daylight” by Joji

Somewhere between the genre of R&B and alternative punk, Japanese singer-songwriter Joji released his second studio album Nectar on Sept. 25. You may know his melodic yet grungy sound from his song “Slow Dancing in the Dark” that was featured on his first studio album, Ballad’s 1, which debuted at No. 1 on Billboard’s R&B/Hip Hop Album Charts, making him the first Asian-born artist to top those charts. Featuring Diplo, “Daylight’s” sound falls somewhere between pop-py, painful and powerful. If you like Khalid’s sound, definitely check out this song and a few of his others like “Sanctuary,” “Your Man,” “Normal People,” and, if you want some rap, “Pretty Boy.”

2. “Colors” by Black Pumas

Based in Austin, Texas, Black Pumas is an American psychedelic soul band that released their debut album “Black Pumas” in June 2019. Since then, they have been nominated for a Grammy for Best New Artist. Their sound is soulful with some serious R&B resonance. “Colors” starts out with strings that instantly put you in a good vibe, and then adds keys and lyrics that shake and captivate at the same time. As put by Chloe Knudsen (‘20), “it’s the type of song that doesn’t let you think about anything else while you’re listening to it.”

3. “Lo Que No Me Dices” by Kimberley Tell

You don’t need to be able to speak Spanish to become captured by the soft and silky singing of Tell in her “Lo Que No Me Dices.” More electronic than instrumental, the rhythm of the beat makes you want to tap your feet and nod your head. If you are the type of person that needs to know the lyrics to songs, we will just let you know that her chorus sings “what you don’t tell me hurts.” Yes, Kimberley, yes.

4. Out Of My Head– Mac DeMarco

Listen to this on a walk around the lake, sitting on a beach, or whenever you need an escape from reality and need to be reminded to get out of your own head. The melody of the guitar strings is steady and rhythmic, and DeMarco’s voice is soothing like he has no care in the world. DeMarco describes his music style, which he has released six studio albums of, as “jizz-jazz.” We’re not really sure if this song falls into that category. If you give it a listen, let us know what you think.

5.  Rufufus — Remi Wolf

If you like Still Woozy’s funky sounds and colors, then Remi Wolf is the girl for you. Her music, which she categorizes as “funky soul pop,” is the perfect soundscape for strolling around campus’s new autumn foliage or for dancing in your room in your favorite fuzzy socks. Either way, we are feeling groovy. Also, be sure to check out her song “Sauce”– but proceed with caution, as the guitar strings, bass, and her confident vocals may intensely captivate you. 

Have a song you want to share with the student body? Get in touch with The Paladin’s social media, or email [email protected] with the song title and the artist. We’re always looking, and always listening.