Duke’s Doggs: A Hidden Gem in Travelers Rest

The family owned and operated Duke’s Doggs, located on Main Street in Travelers Rest, is an unassuming but delightful place to go for some hot dogs, burgers, and Southern hospitality.
Courtesy of Amy Adams
Photo courtesy of Amy Adams
Photo courtesy of Amy Adams

Kristy Burns, along with her father Mike, decided two years ago that downtown Travelers Rest needed a good hot dog place. Mike Burns, who was just elected to the House of Representatives for Travelers Rest, had previously opened up small businesses throughout the Greenville area.

Kristy, the owner, said that opening up Duke’s Doggs was a joint effort among several members of her family. Her Uncle “Swoll” was kind enough to let Kristy use the property to start the small business, her mother and cousin help out in the kitchen, and many of the recipes (including those for the coleslaw and chili) come from grandmothers in the Burns family. The restaurant was named after Kristy’s eldest nephew, Duke.

The moment you walk into Duke’s Doggs, you can feel the warmth and welcome of a family restaurant. Pictures of the Burns family adorn the tables. Kristy, who is usually working at the register, is friendly and warm. It’s easy to become a frequent customer.

At Duke’s Doggs, the details of the food matter. The burgers are fresh, not frozen. The hot dogs are all-beef and grilled to perfection. The buns — which are light and fluffy — are shipped from Maine and are considered “northern style.” The menu also offers a number of vegetarian options.

dukes-1

“Because we are located on the Swamp Rabbit Trail, we knew customers would want some healthier options,” Kristy said. “That’s why we chose to offer veggie hot dogs and burgers. We also offer greaseless fries.”

The fries are exceptionally tasty. Kristy decided to purchase a “greaseless fryer” for the kitchen, which means the fries are made in a superheated convection oven rather than deep fried in oil. The fries have 70 percent less fat than regular, deep fried french fries. The grease is not missed: these are some of the lightest, crispiest crinkle fries I’ve ever eaten.

Brownies are baked fresh every morning, and a small brownie comes free with every meal. Kristy said she knows people like to have “a little something sweet at the end of the meal.”

The menu at Duke’s Doggs is affordable and customizable. You could have a satisfying lunch here for $5-8. While hot dogs are central to the menu, hamburgers, chicken hoagies, and chicken tenders are also offered. There are numerous toppings for the hot dogs: sauerkraut, turkey or beef chili, slaw, relish, jalapenos, cheese, and a myriad of sauces and condiments.

Come check out Duke’s Doggs and see for yourself why they have such a loyal customer base. It is a leisurely three mile bike ride away from Furman, right off the Swamp Rabbit Trail, and they offer a 10 percent Furman student discount.