Gaming for Charity: Student Plays Professionally and Donates Winnings

While some say that video games are a root cause of violence in our society, junior computer science major Tyler Atwell is out to prove them wrong. Atwell has been playing video games since the time he could read, starting with Pac-Man for the original Game Boy. Years later as a college student, Atwell is able to earn money by playing professionally. But unlike most professional gamers, he has chosen to anonymously donate the money he makes to Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals.

While some say that video games are a root cause of violence in our society, junior computer science major Tyler Atwell is out to prove them wrong.

Atwell has been playing video games since the time he could read, starting with Pac-Man for the original Game Boy. Years later as a college student, Atwell is able to earn money by playing professionally. But unlike most professional gamers, he has chosen to anonymously donate the money he makes to Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals.

He says he makes the donations because the money he earns is not steady and that he would prefer to donate to people who need it more than he does. He decided to donate his winnings to the Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals because they stream a charity event each year called “Extra Life” which many YouTubers, streamers, and professional players join in on.

Many video gamers want to become professionals, but it’s a difficult feat. Professional video gamers are invited to join teams or “clans” through social networking, thereby meeting gamers of equal or greater talent than themselves. Players become better by challenging gamers of greater skill level, eventually, if you get good enough, you will be invited to join professional teams and begin earning money. Although any video game can be played for money, the most popular is “Call of Duty,” which is what Atwell plays professionally.

So, can video games actually be good? As far as Atwell is concerned, the answer is a resounding yes. He uses the money he makes to give to those less fortunate, and according to Atwell, video games are a great way to relax, like reading a good book. There are social and emotional aspects to video games as well. In some games like of “Call of Duty,” the characters go through emotional traumas and mental breakdowns in response to the experiences they’ve had, and Atwell admitted to even crying during a video game because it was so moving.

He does, however, encourage parents to be mindful of what they purchase for their children. Before purchasing a video game, parents should research what takes place in the game as well as the ratings, he said.

Atwell could make a living off gaming, and his career aspirations includes making computers specifically designed for video gaming. He said he seeks to encourage the younger generation to plays video games and to show how they can actually be beneficial.