Furman Justice Month Promotes Campus Advocacy and Social Justice Education

Through a variety of accessible events, the Furman Justice Forum gives students an opportunity to participate in creating a healthier, more inclusive campus culture.
Members of Alpha Phi Omega wear red for justice month.
Courtesy of Meghan Bové

This March, Furman Justice Forum hosted a series of events surrounding the multi-faceted concept of social justice. According to Syncdin, the Forum “creates a space for students to learn about social injustices, to reflect upon these issues, and to learn skills needed to take action in their communities.”
Typically, the Forum adopts some theme to guide the events, but due to the increase in student involvement, a wide variety of justices were touched on in the three weeks.
“We’ve been discussing queer politics, racial and class justice, justice for Native Americans and victims of sexual assault. When we focus on justice, we’re not just talking about one thing, and that’s what I think Justice Month exemplifies,” FJF President Lydia McCarty ‘24 said.
The planning also took a more inclusive approach to justice, as the group tries to build awareness in all spheres.
“I want to make sure that everyone that wants to highlight something that they’re interested in is able to do that, no matter what their discipline is,” FJF Media and Marketing Manager Meghan Bove ‘26 said.
The two most important events, according to McCarty, were the campus-wide Wear Red Day and the Seeking Abraham Tour. Wear Red Day is the fourth annual event recognizing victims of sexual assault on campus.
“It’s been wonderful in years past to walk into the DH or a common space and see a sea of red t-shirts,” McCarty said. “By wearing red, you’re saying that I recognize that sexual assault is an issue on our campus, and I want to work to make it less of an issue and support survivors.”
One of the more dynamic events is the Seeking Abraham Tour CLP, which is a walking tour throughout Furman that covers the history of slavery of Furman. Led by Dr. Brandon Inabinet, a professor in the Communication Studies department, the tour is a crucial element of justice on Furman’s campus.
Justice Month first originated during COVID, taking the form of many CLPs students could access remotely. It had previously lasted only a week, with fewer events and less student involvement.
“I don’t think we realized how much work went into these events because it was so much easier during COVID,” McCarty said. “It was hard, but I think we really hit our stride this year.”
In the future, Justice Month will build on the wider variety of events displayed this year.
“I want it to be interdisciplinary. I feel like you have a lot of politics professors and the like and this year we’ve gotten English and Anthropology professors, we’ve done queer politics, we’ve just tried to catch all interests,” said Bové.
Wear Red Day saw a huge audience outside the library, attracting what Bové called “unprecedented support.”
“I think the support of the faculty and staff is so essential, as well. I’m just so proud of the entire month this year, and everyone who’s contributed,” McCarty said.