Furman’s Powerlifters Take on World Championship

Furman’s powerlifting team traveled to New Jersey to compete in the World Championship.
From left to right: Matt Keller, Dr. Tony Caterisano, Alex Hite, Leah Norman and John Haddad
Courtesy of Tony Caterisano

Furman University’s club powerlifting team won this year’s World Championship competition held in New Jersey on Nov. 13.

Lea Norman, Alex Hite, John Haddad and Matt Keller all worked incredibly hard to earn the World Champions title. They not only had to qualify for the meet by reaching certain totals (for the combined amount they can lift in each event) but win two consecutive state or regional competitions. Norman, Hite and Haddad completed the deadlift, bench press and squat lifts, while Keller competed in the bench press and strict curl events.

“We entered the team bench press competition and won the title,” said Dr. Tony Caterisano, the team’s dedicated coach. This team success is not new for Furman’s powerlifters. Furman took home a team championship in 2007, 2014, 2015, 2018, and 2019 and now are back post-pandemic to proving their abilities.

Some noteworthy accomplishments were John Haddad beating his personal record with a deadlift lift of 500 pounds and Leah Norman winning the world’s best women’s deadlifter title with a 290-pound lift.

“Everybody thinks powerlifting is just the brute strength, but the truth is there is a technique to it,” said Dr. Caterisano. He explained that the judges look carefully at the competitors’ forms to make sure, for example, that their backs are straight against the wall when doing the curl. So, while the muscle is important, it is not the only factor in powerlifting.

If you would like a chance to see this team, you are in luck. Furman is set to host this competition on Apr. 22. The Furman domination over the competition has reached such a level that it is now unofficially called “the Furman challenge.” They have won it every year since 1997 (not counting COVID years), so it is a challenge for any other school to try to beat them.

This team is something Furman should be proud of. In speaking with Coach Caterisano, it was evident how proud he is of this group and how he works to let experienced lifters come to him for advice while offering more training structure for beginners. “[I hope] I can get my lifters to benefit from training mistakes I made,” he said. He also works to look for the potential in students and show that all are welcome to join.

Furman’s Club Powerlifting Team is one to watch, and I am excited to see more of their success this year!