Pauper Players’ Heathers is “Big Fun”

Pauper Players proves that you do not need much to put on a great show, just talent. This deceptively minimalist production truly highlights the incredible talent of all involved in the show.

“Heathers,” the ’80s cult classic turned popular musical hit, chronicles Veronica Sawyer’s misadventures navigating the vicious hierarchy of her high school, where three teen queens sharing the name Heather — McNamara, Duke, and Chandler — sit comfortably atop the totem pole. Veronica finds an ally when she falls for mysterious new kid J.D., but can they or anyone rise above the Heathers’ French-manicured iron grip?

The leading ladies more than delivered with standout performances. Caroline Schrum as Veronica was equal parts sassy and vulnerable, and Wallis Lucas was deliciously demonic as Chandler, the godhead of the Heathers’ unholy trinity.

Supporting players Will Blackwell and Ben Bagwell also provided great comic relief as the fathers of Ram and Kurt, the Heathers’ meathead male equivalents. The cast would not shine as bright without the superlative direction of Izzy Wildgen, aided by the seamless choreography of Eileen Joseph. Somehow, they manage to make you forget how simple the staging actually is, particularly in the larger ensemble numbers.

Senior Kayla Wong, who played Heather Duke, said that the biggest challenge was only having three weeks to put together a complicated show: “‘Heathers’ is filled with choreography and musical numbers so we had to practice as much as possible. With a lot of hard work, we were able to pull it off and I was really proud of the final product.”

A director’s note refers to “Heathers” as “my baby,” and that was plain to see. If you are a “Heathers” fan, to see this musical in such good hands will make you feel, well, like a kid in a candy store.

It was a great experience because I was surrounded by an amazing cast and production team! We all put in a lot of work on and off the stage to put the show together. I loved getting to work with such talented and fun people, and to be involved in such a riveting production.

The biggest challenge was that we only had three weeks to put together a pretty complicated show! Heathers is filled with choreography and musical numbers so we had to practice as much as possible. With a lot of hard work, we were able to pull it off and I was really proud of the final product.