‘Land Before Furman’ Homecoming Theme Stands to be Best Yet

Arguably the biggest event of the year is here with a twist, FUSAB executives reveal.
Courtesy of Conor Danahy

strong>By: Olivia Walters, News Editor

This week hailed the beginning of annual homecoming traditions that pushed expectations to new limits, said Vice-President of Programming Ellie Williams ‘18.

Furman’s Student Activities Board (FUSAB) plans to make this year’s homecoming theme unforgettable. The original idea to host events centered around a time travel theme turned into the broader ‘Land Before Furman’ theme, encompassing all decades and “anything from the Wild West or even as far back as dinosaurs,” explained FUSAB President Casey Carrell.

“I think one thing the annual committee has done really well this year in all of their events is that they have put new and exciting twists on repetitive traditions,” Williams related. “The rainbow bagels? That was hype.”

One returning tradition is the HAVOC competition in which students choose a charity and raise money over the course of one week by camping out on the lawn in between the library and the chapel. Carrell described the event as a mix between Survivor and the Amazing Race, except participating students are required to wear a costume and do not have access to showers or beds. The top three survivors will be recognized at the football game on Saturday against Georgia’s Mercer University and will receive a cash prize. Carrell said the incentive is for the winners to give the money back to the charity.

But for those who did not sleep in a tent this week, FUSAB had a whole stock of other surprises in store for Furman. Giveaways, a magic show in Burgiss Theatre and expansive chalk art in front of the Dining Hall brought people from all backgrounds into the homecoming festivities.

Williams insisted on the point that everyone participates in activities around this time because “it draws everyone together.” She is also gearing up for the carnival on Friday, which happens to be her favorite night of the year at Furman.

Another executive board member leaked information about the budget for the ‘Land Before Furman’ homecoming. Vice-President of Finance Zachary Arons ‘18 said the budget is bigger than ever before due to careful allocation of funds. The increase in money from Furman’s Student Government Association (SGA) found its way into FUSAB’s hands under the guise of making the 2017 homecoming an event to remember. Even despite SGA’s recent budget slashes, Arons said that FUSAB has all of the necessary devices it needs to pay for homecoming activities.

Other events to look out for are float building and comedy skits on Thursday, food trucks on Friday night, tailgating before the football game Saturday, and after that, FUSAB is giving free admission and game credit to the first hundred students who arrive at Frankie’s Fun Park at 7pm.

School spirit is on the main agenda for the weekend, said Carrell, but first and foremost the homecoming festivities are meant to be all-inclusive. FUSAB is not only encouraging students to take advantage of the weekend, but alumni, family and other community allies as well.

Screen Shot 2017-10-19 at 8.43.05 PM
Tents in front of the library serve as sleeping quarters for HAVOC competitors this week. HAVOC is only one of a handful of classic Homecoming events put on by FUSAB each year. Photo courtesy of Conor Danahy.