Heller Service Corps Reaches 50,000 Hours

Local area children participate in the annual Fall Fest Sat. Oct. 31. Heller Service Corps reached its goal of 50,000 service hours at the end of October. Photo courtesy of McKenna Luzynski
Local area children participate in the annual Fall Fest Sat. Oct. 31. Heller Service Corps reached its goal of 50,000 service hours at the end of October.
Photo courtesy of McKenna Luzynski

Heller Service Corps, the largest student organization on campus, is celebrating its 50th anniversary this year by encouraging students, alumni, faculty, staff and other members of the Furman community to log 50,000 hours of community service during the month of October alone. The goal was met the afternoon of Oct. 26. By Nov. 2, over 60,000 hours were recorded on Heller’s website.

“One of the things we did was raise money for the victims of the South Carolina floods,” junior Ryan Hall said.

But that was not all. According to the Heller Service Corps social media pages, individuals, Furman athletics and groups on campus volunteered with local organizations such as the Mauldin Miracle League, Greenville Health System, literacy organizations, local schools and more.

Hall, like many of his fellow students, was not surprised that the Furman community was able to accomplish the ambitious goal of “50,000 acts of kindness.” He says that Furman students truly understand the value of giving back.

“The success of your life is determined not by what you get, but by what you give,” Hall said.

Heller Service Corps will continue to commemorate its 50 years of service on campus throughout the rest of the school year with annual events such as The Giving Tree and the Valentine’s Dance.