Furman’s Upcoming Season of Music and Theatre

By: Abby Fricke, Staff Writer

The school year has only just begun, but the Furman Theatre and Music programs are already tuning up for another spectacular year.

This year’s marching band show, themed “Back to the Future,” included the opening theme from the movie “Back to the Future” and Led Zeppelin’s “Kashmir” in the game versus Gardner Webb. The later part of their season will include Jessie J’s, Nicki Minaj’s, and Arianna Grande’s single “Bang Bang!” and Kansas’ “Carry on My Wayward Son.” The show will to continue to incorporate the theme of traveling back in time and returning to present day.

Under the Direction of Les Hicken, the Symphonic Winds will be performing a Veterans Day Concert of Sorts Nov. 11 at 8:00 p.m. in McAlister. The Concert will include pieces such as John Williams’ famous “Star Spangled Banner” as well as Charles Ives’ “Variations on America.”

The Furman Lyric Theatre will be showcasing their Evening of Opera Scenes event Tuesday, Nov. 18. This semester will focus on classical operas featuring Mozart, Haydn, and Gluck. The scenes will be performed in Italian with the exception of one in English.

The Furman Orchestra will premiere their fall semester concert with professor soloist Thomas Joiner, performing “Winter” from Vivaldi’s four seasons Oct. 17 in McAlister Auditorium. The program will also include Handel’s Music for The Royal Fireworks, Haydn’s Symphony No. 99 and Gounod’s Ballet Music from Faust. Christmas at Furman will take place Dec. 5 in McAlister auditorium and will feature the orchestra, chorale, and wind ensemble.

The Gospel Choir will make their fall debut Nov. 18 in the chapel. The theme of the concert is “Created to Worship,” referencing the scripture Jeremiah 1:5. Songs included in the program will be “Created to Worship” by John Lakin, “Indescribable” by Kierra Sheard, and “Not about Us” by Bishop Noel Jones.

Furman Singers and Chorale’s first concert will be Tuesday Oct. 28 in the chapel. The program will include a cappella and organ music. In December, the groups will unite with the orchestra for a special Christmas concert featuring Russian music and Vivaldi’s Gloria featuring Furman student soloists.

The theatre department is preparing for an impressive season as well. Their first show will be “Book of Days,” premiering from Sept. 24-28. The show is under the direction of Jay Oney and was written by Lanford Wilson. Their second performance this fall will be “The Sweetest Swing in Baseball,” premiering from Nov. 12-16. The show is written by Rebecca Gilman and under the direction of Jason Adkins.