Health Resources

Health+Resources

By: Hayley Cunningham, Columnist

You knew it was coming – displays of notebooks and binders have arisen in supermarkets, well-dressed children grace every other commercial, and Furman emails have started filling up your inbox. Now you find yourself spending beautiful summer days sitting in freezing classrooms trying to remember how to do school. Being a college student means added stress, less sleep, and close quarters – things that can leave you in need of medical attention. Below are some resources on campus and nearby in case you find yourself feeling under the weather.

Need a little medical attention?

Visit Student Health Service in Earle Infirmary (between Johns Hall and Lakeside housing). It is open Monday-Friday, 8:00a.m.-8:00p.m. The Women’s clinic is open Tuesday, 5:00p.m.-7:30p.m .(by appointment only).

Infirmary services include STD testing, flu shots and other vaccinations, strep and mono tests, over-the-counter medications, starter doses of antibiotics and other prescription medications, and medical equipment such as crutches.

Sickness and injury do not keep the infirmary’s hours in mind when deciding when to strike. There are plenty of places nearby where you can go for after-hours care. Here are two of them:

North Greenville Hospital ER

Open 24 hours

807 Main St.

Travelers Rest, SC 29690

864-455-9206

Doctors Express in Cherrydale

Open Monday-Friday 8am-8pm, Weekends 8:00a.m.-5:00p.m.

3213 N. Pleasantburg Dr., Suite E-2

Greenville SC 29609

864-249-4409

Juggling Furman academics, extracurriculars, and everything life throws at us can be hard. Furman students realize seeing a counselor or having a comfort animal makes you no less fantastic. We all need a little help sometimes! Luckily, you can get the help you need from Furman’s certified counselors, psychiatrists, and nutritionist, or use the Counseling Center to get a referral to an outside therapist.

The Furman Counseling Center (located on the back side of the infirmary) is open Monday-Friday, 8:30am-5:00p.m. Stop by or call 864-294-3031 to schedule an appointment.

Regularly taking time for yourself can do wonders for your mental and physical health. Spending time outdoors has also been shown to reduce anxiety and relieve depression, so take a lap around the lake when you are stressed or hop on a bike to explore the Swamp Rabbit Trail. Don’t have a bike? Starting this semester, you can rent one at the PAC – all you need is your Furman ID! Here are some other resources to help you stay healthy:

The PAC offers a variety of fitness classes each week, including yoga, Zumba, spinning, and more! You can pay $20 for one month of unlimited classes or $55 for the entire semester.

Join Studio Si and dance away your stress – it’s so much fun you won’t even realize you’re working out! It is located on the Thaicoon side of the Publix shopping center.

Check out the newly-opened Hub Fitness in downtown TR for classes ranging from yoga to bootcamp! You can even ride your bike there on the Swamp Rabbit.

It is possible to eat healthily in college – the “Freshman Fifteen” is not inevitable (nor are you destined to be a Squishy Sophomore, Giggly Junior, or Slothful Senior).

To learn more about eating well at Furman, visit the university’s CampusDish website and click on the “Healthy for Life” tab. There, you’ll find a ton of information about healthy eating under “Wellness Resources” and learn how to download the CampusDish App to get the Dining Hall’s daily menu and nutritional information.

That being said, do not stress yourself out counting calories or trying to eat healthy 100% of the time – it is much easier to shake a few extra pounds than it is to recover from an eating disorder. Eat to fuel your body and feel your best, not to change your appearance – you are so much more than that, and you already look great anyway!

Now that you have armed yourself with knowledge, get some hand sanitizer, remember to sleep, and do not be late for class!