Recipe: A Southern Twist on Mexican Vegetable Soup

With the past month of cold weather behind and weeks of winter to come, a hot cup of hearty soup may be just what you need.

With the past month of cold weather behind and weeks of winter to come, a hot cup of hearty soup may be just what you need. This recipe is a family favorite, both spicy and comforting with hints of fresh flavors and interesting textures. Although it has Mexican roots, the flavors offer subtle Southern notes like a traditional vegetable soup. The great thing about this recipe is that you can add meat without compromising the taste (I would suggest chicken). It also stores very well, allowing you to enjoy your creation all week. And it’s affordable: a full pot is usually less than $10. That’s multiple meals for almost less than one meal costs in the Dining Hall and for sure less than most in the PalaDen. New semesters can be lonely times, and nothing reminds me of home like a hot bowl of soup.

Ingredients:

3 cloves garlic, mincedfood

1 onion, diced

1/2 cup water

3 carrots, sliced or grated

3 cups vegetable broth

1 15 ounce can hominy (puffed corn, found with the canned vegetables)

1 15 ounce can crushed tomatoes

1 red bell pepper, chopped

1/2 tsp cumin

1 tsp chili powder

fresh cilantro, salt, and pepper for garnish (optional)

Preparation:

In a large stock pot, simmer the garlic, onion, and carrots in the water for a few minutes, until onions are soft. Add vegetable broth and allow to simmer for another five minutes or so, until carrots are soft.

Add remaining ingredients, and allow to simmer for at least 20 minutes. Garnish with a bit of chopped fresh cilantro, if desired.

Add salt and pepper to your liking.