A First Look at Furman Theatre’s “ATHENA!”

On April 16, Furman Theatre will open their production of Grace Gardner’s “ATHENA!” directed by Caroline Jane Davis. The play will run until April 20 in Furman Theatre’s Playhouse.
Photo by Elena Davidson
Ciara Cox ’25 (left) and Avery Johnson ’27 (right)

Furman Theatre will be showcasing its newest production, “ATHENA!” starting on April 16. “ATHENA!” was written by Gracie Gardner and was first performed in 2018. The show follows two 17-year-old girls who met through their shared interest — fencing. The play observes the two as they navigate their way through the transition from adolescence to adulthood. The girls take on the drama, stress and chaos that comes with ending high school and starting a new chapter.

Caroline Davis is the director of the show, and has been a guest director for two other Furman Theatre productions. Before beginning rehearsals, Davis completes what she calls “access check-ins.” These give the actors and stage crew a chance to be honest about their mental and physical well-being so that Davis can accommodate them and make rehearsal a more relaxing environment.

“(Davis) has made this process so fun. She really checks in with us in the beginning to see how we are doing, and I really appreciate that,” Ciara Cox ‘25, who plays Mary Wallace, said.

Once rehearsals began, it was as though everyone flipped a switch. Through every scene, the passion, realness and dedication of these actors was immediately clear. The chemistry between the characters Mary Wallace and Athena, played by Avery Johnson ‘27, is incredible – it truly felt like they were teammates who formed a friendship. The tone changes and expressions of the actors perfectly play into the context of the story. For example, in a scene where the two main characters are discussing gossip about a classmate, the actors are genuinely enthusiastic and curious in their tone of voice, captivating the audience and making them want to learn the drama.

Throughout rehearsals, Davis, as well as the actors themselves, would stop a scene to discuss what could be done better. Davis and her actors discuss the characters like they are real – asking themselves questions about the character to better portray an emotion or say a line more effectively.

“It’s different in educational theatre — your goals are different, and the process is really at the forefront. What’s cool about directing at Furman is you get to kind of dig into the conversation and really discuss the ‘meat’ of the character,” Davis said. “And in a professional setting, you don’t really get to delve that deeply. Part of what we’re doing (at Furman Theatre) is teaching script analysis through performance.”

Johnson most enjoys developing these characters, learning the scenes and story, and forming a connection with fellow cast members.

“I’ve really enjoyed the process of getting to know the show. The cast is super small, so I feel like I’ve gotten really close with other people on the show with me, and the technicians also,” Johnson said. “And I’ve really been enjoying learning how to fence!”

The hard work that these students are putting into the play will not go unnoticed. “ATHENA!” opens on Tuesday, April 16 at 7:30 p.m. as a CLP and runs through Friday, April 19. Tickets are now available. You do not want to miss this drama-packed comedic show!