Connolly’s Irish Pub Announces Partnership with Furman University

Connolly’s Irish Pub has decided that, in an attempt to stop serving minors, all current bouncers will be replaced with Furman faculty.
Photo courtesy of Furman University
A specialty Furman bourbon was offered at The Purple Party to celebrate a significant milestone in the life of the Clearly Furman campaign and share a toast to Furman’s third century on Saturday, April 15th, 2023.

Connolly’s, or Conn’s as many Furman students know it, has long been a downtown alternative to everyone’s favorite, The Pump House in Cherrydale. Known for their impressive tap brews, cocktails and live music, Conn’s is a great spot for Furman students to unwind. However, Conn’s has recently decided they are going to adopt a new strategy for identifying Furman students, particularly those who may not be of legal consumption age.

In a recent report, Conn’s discovered that almost 25% of their Furman clientele was not over the age of 21 and had been bypassing security with “poorly made fakes.”

Instead of firing the current bouncers and training new ones, Conn’s owner, Declan O’Brien, had another idea. O’Brien has reached out to Furman University in an attempt to establish a partnership. This deal would include Connolly’s providing beverages for all Paladin athletic events in exchange for Furman faculty serving as bouncers on weekends.

When O’Brien was asked why he made this decision, he said, “Who knows better what Furman students look like than those who teach them?”

It is unknown how many faculty members have been notified of the opportunity, but rumors are spreading. Allegedly, the philosophy department tandem, Dr. Eiho Baba and Dr. David Gandolfo, along with Dr. Tony Caterisano in health science, have all voiced their interest.