Significant Renovations to Be Made to Timmons Arena

Contributions from several donors have allowed Furman University to move forward with plans to overhaul Timmons Arena.
Photo courtesy of Furman University
Furman breaks ground on Timmons Arena on April 13.

Funding from Furman’s Clearly Furman campaign has allowed the athletics department to proceed with Phase 2 of renovations to Timmons Arena. The campaign allocates a certain percentage of money to Furman athletics, and this round of renovations will cost $40 million.

Phase 1 of renovations primarily improved the office spaces and locker rooms of Timmons in 2022, while the upcoming renovations will focus on the arena itself and the student experience. This will include redoing the entrance area and converting the auditorium-style arena into a 365-degree concourse with bowl seating that includes a designated student section. There will also be a meeting space behind the student section for student organizations and student life to hold events such as giveaways, according to Jason Donnelly, Director of Athletics.

Donnelly says these renovations will not only create an upgraded experience for Furman basketball games, but will allow Timmons to be used for other events as well, such as commencement, Furman Engaged and concerts.

“One of the things we’re really excited about is not just the use for men’s and women’s basketball, but also for the potential use on campus for us to be able to do other events that are at a higher level,” Donnelly said.

The renovations will occur over the next year, with construction starting on April 1. They are estimated to be completed by fall of 2025. During this time, men’s and women’s basketball practice will take place in Alley Gym. Most men’s home games will be in Bon Secours Arena, and most women’s will take place at North Greenville University.

We’re really excited about how nice the arena is going to be. It’s going to meet all the needs in terms of fan experience, student experience, aesthetics, sounds and light. It’s going to be a state- of-the-art facility, and it’s going to fit Furman.

— Jason Donnelly, Director of Athletics

According to Donnelly, these locations were chosen due to preexisting relationships and their ability to continue to make Furman home games accessible.

“The location change next year is a necessary sacrifice. My team and I are very grateful that there is another gym for us to use. I don’t believe home court advantage is created by the court, it’s created by the fans,” sophomore women’s guard Sydney Ryan said.

In order to maintain Furman’s home court advantage, students will continue to receive free access to Furman basketball home games no matter their location, and there will be transportation opportunities such as shuttles and Uber discounts for them to use during the period of construction.

“I believe the renovations will elevate the experience of being an athlete at Furman. We are so lucky to have the opportunity to play in an amazing, brand-new facility,” Ryan said. “We have the opportunity to build the foundation for all teams to come, and set a standard for hard work and energy.”

Furman Athletics says these renovations are going to catch Furman up to comparable schools at a good value for the price and provide our teams with a competitive edge. This includes making Furman more competitive in recruiting, keeping and developing players, increasing revenue and investment, and growing the teams’ fanbases.

“We’re really excited about how nice the arena is going to be. It’s going to meet all the needs in terms of fan experience, student experience, aesthetics, sounds and light. It’s going to be a state- of-the-art facility, and it’s going to fit Furman,” Donnelly said.

Furman basketball players are looking forward to the new arena for their experience as collegiate athletes and that of the fans.

“I am most excited for the new seating arrangement that will allow fans to have a more intimate and robust experience, but overall I am very excited to have the opportunity to be a part of such a large moment in Furman basketball history,” sophomore men’s forward Thomas Tillman said.