Mid Season College Football Outlook: Assessing the Best

The college football season’s heading into week nine, and it’s an ideal time to assess the title chances of the top five teams in the Bowl Championship Series.

#1 Alabama Crimson Tide

The Crimson Tide have had a strong opening to their season and have shown that they have few weaknesses, standing 17th in the country in points scored and first in points allowed. But the road ahead will probably be a lot more difficult than the first half, with tough games against Tennessee (who is coming off an impressive win against then no. 11 South Carolina), LSU, and the yearly final against Auburn, who has climbed to no. 11 in the country and currently stands behind Alabama in the SEC West division. The final will have even greater implications if both teams go into game without another loss; if Auburn defeated Alabama, they’d get the SEC championship berth, and Alabama would no longer control its destiny. With a turbulent SEC this year, Alabama is going to have to be as good as they have ever been to make it through the difficult home stretch.

#2 Florida State Seminoles

With the ultra-competitive Jameis Winston taking snaps under center and future NFL players lining up at every other position, Florida State looks like the team to beat at this point in the season. They are currently third in both points scored and in points allowed, and have put up huge numbers in big games over and over again. They have scored at least 41 points in all their games, including a 63-0 win against then no. 25 Maryland, and most recently went into Death Valley and destroyed the no. 3 Clemson Tigers 51-14. The win catapulted them past Oregon to the no. 2 position in the BCS. Just like Alabama, though, the second half of the season will be more difficult than the first with a rivalry games against no. 7 Miami and the University of Florida, whom they have only beaten twice in the last nine matchups. However, I don’t see this team slowing down at any point and expect them to be one of the teams playing for the national title.

#3 Oregon Ducks

Oregon has torn through the first half of the season, outpacing opponents and scoring at will. They are second in the country in points scored and second in rushing yards per game, and so far there hasn’t been a single team that could match the speed Oregon brings to the starting line. They’ve good wins against Tennessee and then no. 16 Washington, but the meat of their schedule is yet to come, beginning with no. 12 UCLA on Saturday. Unfortunately for the Ducks, the BCS system may be the biggest block standing in the way of their title hopes. If Alabama, Oregon, and Florida State all win the rest of their games and the rankings don’t change, then Oregon will be the odd man out and most assuredly will be angry that they don’t get the shot that an undefeated team in a big conference usually deserves. They’ll be looking to dominate the remaining opponents on their weak schedule but will also need one of the top two teams to lose along the way.

#4 Ohio State Buckeyes

The Buckeyes are currently in the same position as the Ducks. Under Urban Meyer’s coaching, the team boasts strengths all around, but a loss from the teams ranked above them remains their best shot at making a title. Their biggest games are behind them at this point, so they just need to make sure they don’t fall asleep against one of the weaker Big Ten opponents that they still have to face. With all the great teams in college football right now, it’s unfortunate the BCS couldn’t have held next year’s much anticipated four team playoff one year earlier.

#5 Missouri Tigers

The Tigers have been the surprise team of the season, going undefeated and beating Georgia and Florida, two of the best defenses in the country, in back to back weeks.They’re only ranked no. 5, but they still control their own destiny and could make the national championship if they win the rest of the way. However, their remaining regular season schedule and pending SEC championship game against the stronger SEC West champ will pose a great threat to Missouri’s story book ending. Tough games against no. 21 South Carolina and no. 16 Texas A&M are the biggest remaining games for the Tigers.