Album Review: Lorde’s debut Pure Heroine

Lorde’s debut album Pure Heroine was released as a follow up to her EP, The Love Club. Though groomed by the largest American music label, Universal Music Group (UMG), the same label as record company creations like Justin Bieber and Nicky Minaj, this sixteen-year-old Australian sensation helped write the lyrics to songs that challenge the status quo of popular music. The authenticity of the music shines through, despite the record label’s influence.

music-equipment

Sampling from traditional hip-hop to progressive beats, her piercing vocals layer perfectly with the low end of generated baselines and ambient textures. The opener “Tennis Court”, encompasses the essence of the album with her rebellious lyrics, strong leads, and staggered snares. Somewhere between M.I.A.’s lightly moving beats and Purity Ring’s luscious soundscapes, the third track “Royals” does not disappoint (unless frequent airplay means you’re listening to it for the twentieth time in one hour.)

“Team” and “Glory and Gore” seem to be the heavy hitters, interlaced with sleepers such as “Buzzcut Season” and “Still Sane.” Pure Heroine will likely fizzle out in the near future because individually the songs are not memorable. But the album should be remembered for making waves in popular music. Until then, enjoy the release while UMG plots world domination with her sophomore follow up.