Gruesome Playground Injuries

This past weekend, senior Grace Bernardo and freshman Sam Nelson starred in the student-directed play “Gruesome Playground Injuries” by Rajiv Joseph, which takes the audience through the lives of Kayleen and Doug, two friends who share a mutual love for one another.

The play begins with an opening scene of two eight-year-olds who have both been sent to the nurse’s office; Kayleen was sent for a stomach ache and Doug for riding his bike off the roof in an attempt to be Evil Knievel. Initially the two are very innocent, but gradually they begin to develop a curiosity for one another. It isn’t until the third scene at the age of 13 that “they choose to fall in love,” Bernardo said.

Kayleen and Doug continue to find each other throughout various points in their lives, specifically after one of them has been injured in some form or fashion. Kayleen struggles with self-mutilation throughout adolescence and ultimately attempts to remove her own stomach, which causes her to be admitted to a mental hospital. Doug, on the other hand, is looking for any form of adventure he can get. By the end of the play, he is blind in one eye and has lost mobility in both of his legs. The play broaches controversial subjects but ultimately shows the power of being in love and accepting someone for who they are.

The play’s director, senior theater major Callie Nestleroth, decided to take on the play for an independent study. The entire cast and crew said they loved working with one another and felt that they grew as actors during the course of the production. After memorizing their lines in one week, the play developed quickly, allowing the cast to become one with their characters.

This production was both moving and relatable, with even the stage crew saying they were moved to tears by the end of the dress rehearsal.

“Theatre is a once in a lifetime experience, so don’t miss it,” Nestleroth said.

If you did miss “Gruesome Playground Injuries,” be sure to look out for the department’s next production, “Pomp and Circumstance,” which comes to the stage Nov. 13-17 and 21-23.