Hummus Takes Root At Furman

If you’ve been to the Dining Hall or the PalaDen lately, you’ll notice a new condiment on display. Whether you slap on a spoonful or buy three tubs like I do, the hummus and salsa from Roots Organic Gourmet is taking Furman by storm. This Asheville-based company has been in business since 2006, making mouths water with local flavors and ingredients. Besides their eight variations of hummus, Roots also offers three flavors of salsa and even Tzatziki sauce.
Hummus Takes Root At Furman

12.26hummus

I found Roots Hummus about two years ago on one of my excursions to Asheville. Being an organic fanatic, I was immediately drawn to their commitment to using 70 percent organic ingredients in their products. Then, I tried it. I don’t claim to be an expert — despite my obsession with hummus and dips of all kinds — but I was immediately hooked.

Not only does hummus taste amazing, but it is a nutritional powerhouse when done right. Chickpeas, or garbanzo beans, are high-protein legumes with no cholesterol or saturated fat. Tahini is also full of protein, and while it contains a good amount of fat, it is mostly unsaturated. Tahini is also a great source of calcium. Olive oil is traditionally used in hummus, a well-known heart-healthy ingredient. Hummus contains plenty of Omega-3 fatty acids, which help brain and heart function. It’s the perfect addition to your salad or favorite sandwich.

Before Roots paired up with our very own Furman University, you could really only buy Roots in Asheville, the occasional regular grocery store, or the local Whole Foods. Now all you have to do is walk to the PDen or DH and indulge in your favorite variation (spicy chipotle for me). You can never go wrong with a dish that involves hummus. Roots takes the tradition of combining chickpeas, tahini, oil, lemon juice, and spices and turns it into something truly unique and delicious. So, next time you’re running around campus craving a little snack, grab one (or twenty-six) bites of Roots’ products. You’ll be glad you did.