Furman Officiates Relationship With Greenville Health System

Furman inaugurated a new partnership with the Greenville Health System at a signing ceremony last Thursday, Sept. 26 that names Furman as the system’s primary undergraduate institution.

Interim president Carl Kohrt and 2013 graduate Rachel Donaldson were among those who spoke at the ceremony.

“Today represents significant recognition of the longstanding relationship between Furman University and the Greenville Hospital System, as well as hope for the future of each of these institutions as they continue to work together,” said Donaldson, who participated in a program at the Greenville Health System as an undergraduate.

Donaldson now attends the South Carolina School of Medicine Greenville, which is associated with the Greenville Health System.

Furman has had a relationship with Greenville Health System for over 25 years and has established many joint programs during the time, including: eleven educational partnerships, four programs of collaborative research, and seven community sponsorships.

One of the most well-known programs is the Medical Experience (MedEx) Academy and Furman Strategic Engagement, which allows both high school and undergraduate students interested in a career in health care to work with the Greenville Health System during a summer experience. Furman students have participated in this program since summer 2011.

Other programs are available through a wide range of departments, from Psychology and Health Science to Modern Languages and Literatures. Dean of Faculty John Beckford, who particpated in the conversations to formalize the new agreement, said the programs represent the breadth of occupations available in the health field, both clinical and non-clinical.

“Giving students these experiences of going into the hospital will help them determine their vocation,” he said. “We consider a student coming in as a health care major and deciding not to continue the major because of MedEx a success because it allowed them to see their calling.”

According to Beckford, 35% of students who enrolled at Furman this year reported an interest in health care, and Furman added Health Sciences and Biology positions in direct response to student interest. The partnership was also finalized in response to increasing student interest in the health care field.

“That’s where jobs are, in the health care system,” Beckford said. “If Furman doesn’t take advantage, we’re mission an opportunity to help our students be employed.”

Discussions about formalizing this relationship began about a year ago between former president Rod Smolla and and Mike Riordan, CEO of the Greenville Health System.

“[Smolla and Riordan] saw common ground with the institutions and how they can serve the surrounding community,” Beckford said.

Beckford said it was “groundbreaking” for the Greenville Health System to reach out to Furman, a move they made in order to improve their workforce development programs.

The University of South Carolina will serve as the Greenville Health System’s graduate partner, and Clemson University will serve as the research partner. Furman’s role as the primary undergraduate institution means that Furman will lead the health system’s undergraduate-level initiatives.

“[What is so attractive about finalizing the partnership is it] gives us the primary position to propose new programs,” said Beckford.

The new partnership establishes a Development and Oversight Committee with members from Furman and the Greenville Health System that will lay out short term and long term goals for joint programs and a new joint staff position to oversee the partnership.

In his speech at the signing ceremony, Kohrt said part of the program’s mission is not just to help Furman students but to help Bob Jones University, North Greenville University, and other local schools develop an undergraduate workforce.

“This is a partnership that will ultimately extend to undergraduates from institutions across the Upstate who are interested in healthcare careers,” Kohrt said in his speech. “It is a partnership that promises to change the way the medical profession approaches healthcare education, offering undergraduate students unparalleled access to a variety of experiences – both clinical and non-clinical – at one of the Southeast’s largest health systems.”