Brett Eldridge Q & A

Brett Eldridge is a popular country singer whose hit song “Don’t Ya” made it to number one on Billboard’s Country Airplay chart, and thanks to FUSAB, he’ll soon be performing at Furman. Amidst busy touring, the country music star took the time last week to talk with The Paladin about his musical journey and life on the road.

Brett Eldridge is a popular country singer whose hit song “Don’t Ya” made it to number one on Billboard’s Country Airplay chart, and thanks to FUSAB, he’ll soon be performing at Furman. Amidst busy touring, the country music star took the time last week to talk with The Paladin about his musical journey and life on the road.

The Paladin: How did you get into music? How did your career start?

Eldridge: I started when I was just 4 years old, singing as a little kid. I remember practicing the national anthem, and I would perform it at neighborhood parties, where I would get paid $5. People have always pushed me toward the stage, and when I finally was able to peel my eyes off the floor during performances, I finally loved the stage. Eventually I moved to Nashville, finished up college, started to write my own songs, got a publishing deal for my songs, and then signed with a record label.

The Paladin: When did you really become comfortable with performing in front of large audiences?

E: Well I grew up listening to Frank Sinatra’s music, so I used him as my inspiration to get better at performing. I would watch his videos, look at the way that he would move on stage and interact with the audience, and learn from him.

The Paladin: What is it like being on the road?

E: Right now I’m sitting at a gas station in the middle of Kansas, near some corn fields and cows. Being on the road means a lot of sleeping on buses, trying to eat healthy, but generally eating mostly gas station food. It’s a lot of fun when you get to be with my friends, the band, though.

The Paladin: So as a musician I imagine you would have to travel a lot. Of all the places you have been to in the world, where has been your favorite place?

E: I love Seattle, or anywhere in Florida because I love the beach. I grew up going to the beach in Florida every summer, so anytime I can go be in the water I absolutely love it. I also love Chicago, especially in the summer.

The Paladin: What influenced your latest album?

E: Most of the songs come from a lot of the experiences I have been through, even songs that I didn’t write myself have been about personal things that have happened in my life. With my music, my goal is to just want to be honest and tell a story — whether that be falling in love or falling out of love. It is supposed to be a fun album, and [it] 100 percent introduces who I am to the world as an artist.

The Paladin: If you didn’t pick country music as your genre, what other genres would you have chosen?

E: I love all kinds of music. Country music is my home, but I’d love to collaborate with other artists from other genres as well. I love jazz music. I love Michael Buble, love that kind of music. I also love John Mayer, and generally soulful, bluesy music. I continue to stay inspired by these artists.

The Paladin: If you could collaborate with any artist right now, who would be your first pick?

E: Probably John Mayer because he is a current artist or someone like Bruno Mars. I also really love Bruno Mars’ music.

The Paladin: If you couldn’t be a professional musician, what other jobs do you find appealing?

E: When I was a kid, I went fishing a lot, and I still do! As a kid, I always said one day I would become a fisherman. I don’t know exactly how I would get paid for that, but I would sell worms if I had to!

The Paladin: What’s your favorite song on the album?

E: My favorite song is “Beat of the Music.” It’s a very feel good song, and we’re actually just about to shoot the music video next month. The song is about my experience of going to the Bahamas, where I saw this girl on a boat, and I just thought to myself that I had to write about her.

The Paladin: What was your inspiration for your song “Don’t Ya?”

E: It’s about how girls play tricks on guys’ minds; they way they flip their hair back, being all sexy, but at the same time trying to act like they’re not doing it on purpose. One time, I noticed a girl who was doing just that at a show I performed at in Wisconsin two years back … actually the whole band noticed it, and I knew I had to write about it!