September Coffeehouse Series/FUSAB Concerts

Last Wednesday, Noah Guthrie, a bluesy-pop singer-songwriter and YouTube star, performed in the Trone Center courtyard. While Guthrie may be an unknown name to some, the 18-year-old is well on his way to becoming a household name with popular YouTube hits like his cover of LMFAO’s “Sexy and I Know It.”

Since the video was posted this summer, it has already received 13 million views, and Guthrie has since opened for such famous artists as Vanessa Carlton, Neon Trees, Cobra Starship, and Selena Gomez.

Cash was the second performer in FUSAB’s September Coffeehouse series, following Rayvon Owen, an R&B/soul/pop artist who gave a concert on the first Wednesday of the month, Sept. 4. So far the series has been very popular amongst students, and FUSAB expects even greater audiences for the next two performers in the series, JOIE. and the Bent Strings.

Guthrie gave his performance on Sept. 11 and dedicated one of his songs to the victims 9/11. The song, called “New Beginnings,” sent a powerful message, and with his soft, cool, relaxing voice — similar John Mayer’s — he was able to comfort his listeners and set them at ease.

After relaxing the audience with his bluesy-pop harmonies for his first several pieces, Guthrie decided to show the crowd his versatility by playing songs that incorporated elements of funk. The song “Lifeline” added a new, fun twist to his performance and gave the audience a change of pace.

One of the last songs Guthrie performed was his most famous hit, the cover of “Sexy and I Know It.” He said he initially performed his more bluesy, soulful version “for humor, having no idea it would become such a great success as it did,” but he said the song had “changed [his] life.”

You can see more artists like Guthrie each Wednesday this month in the Trone Center courtyard.