Album Review: The 1975’s Catchy, Eminently-Satisfying Debut

The 1975, an indie/alternative band from Manchester, England, has released their first full-length album, and it doesn’t fail to satisfy. Their self-titled debut displays a wide range of styles across its tracks and has sounds reminiscent of Vampire Weekend, The Neighborhood, Cobra Starship, and San Cisco.

music-equipment

The album opens with “The 1975,” a song with distorted vocals and an electronica sound. The soft, slow start builds up anticipation for the rest of the album.

The fourth track on the album, “Chocolate,” is their hit single. With a pop sound and catchy lyrics about petticoats and running from the police, the song is as tempting to sing-along with as chocolate is tempting to eat.

“Sex,” the fifth track on the album, sounds less pop and more alternative, with repetitive rhythms on guitar but mixed up drumming. Although some of the sounds may be repetitive, the song certainly isn’t when compared to the rest of the album. The catchiest verse is “she’s got a boyfriend anyway,” a repeated riff about adolescent love.

Track eight on the album, “Heart Out,” has jazzy overtones with a slow beat and saxophone, proof that there isn’t a style that this band can’t produce successfully.

This album has 16 tracks of catchy pop overtones and sing-along lyrics and is able to reflect the band’s unique style — featuring multiple types of music overlapping harmoniously. The album is definitely worth the listen; I expect it’ll soon be on the top of the charts.