Within An Hour: Greenville, SC

It is true that being a Furman student can involve living in the “bubble” of campus life. But don’t let your four years here go to waste! Take time to explore Greenville and its environs, and you may be surprised by what you will find.

Swamp-Rabbit-Logo

You don’t have to go far from Furman to find a pleasant change of scenery. Biking, walking, or jogging along the Swamp Rabbit Trail is an ideal study break.

If you head north along the trail, you will arrive at downtown Travelers Rest in less than three miles. Stop in for coffee at The Forest or ice cream at the Trailside Creamery. You can also get a bike tune-up at Sunrift Adventures so take time to explore this outdoors outfitter while you are there. There is even a discount for RLC cardholders and Furman University Outdoor Club members.

If you head south along the trail, you will reach the Swamp Rabbit Cafe in less than five miles. You can grab a bite to eat there or shop their selection of local and organic foods.

Downtown Greenville is about 2.5 miles beyond the cafe. On Saturday mornings through September, the farmer’s market spans a few blocks of Main Street, with goods such as fresh produce, meats, bread, flowers, and crafts. Greenville also offers lots of places to explore, from shops to restaurants to bars with live music venues.

Don’t miss Falls Park, situated alongside the Reedy River. This is a great place to relax and enjoy a beautiful afternoon.

For an eclectic experience, Horizons is a vintage record retailer that sells a wide range of CDs and records from older bands and current artists alike at decent prices. They are located just off Main Street on Stone Avenue.

Spill The Beans, located next to Falls Park, and Coffee Underground on Main Street are both good places to find a quiet table to study for the afternoon with a cup of coffee or tea. Spill The Beans is also known for its ice cream and frozen yogurt, which are blended with a variety of add-ins of your choice.

While you are downtown, check out the Peace Center. This performing arts center has many live performances throughout the year, including musicals and orchestral pieces. Take the time to walk around downtown and you will be sure to find something special.

Further down the Swamp Rabbit Trail you will find Cleveland Park, which offers 122 acres to explore. It includes tennis courts, a volleyball area, a softball field, walking trails, picnic shelters, and the Greenville Zoo. Greenville has a lot to offer.

Don’t miss out on all there is to see and do during your years at Furman!