Season’s Eatings

You may not think this would change your eating habits much, but trust me, go and look at the sources of food at the grocery store. Bananas from Florida and berries from Chile line the produce section. If you were to eat seasonally, even for a month, your choices would be extremely limited. And maybe that’s a good thing.
Seasons+Eatings

Between all of my stressful springtime studies, I am reading bits and pieces of a book entitled Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver. In it, she describes what it was like to eat seasonally for a year. Think about it; an entire year of only eating food that grew at that particular time.

April is the time of the greens. Asparagus, sprouts, collard greens, and artichokes are in their prime. As the weather warms up, strawberries and avocados will be the stars of the month. These foods were made for this time of the year. Don’t you think we were made to enjoy them at this time, too?

We should honor April’s bounty by eating green. By eating green, I don’t mean eating by candlelight to save electricity or not washing your dishes to save water. I literally mean eat the color green. Green foods are full of powerful antioxidants that protect your body from toxins. They are also rich in chlorophyll. For those of you who are like me and barely remember eighth grade Biology, chlorophyll is a green pigment that acts like a detox agent. The darker the shade of green, the more chlorophyll it has. Raw vegetables like broccoli are the best source of this powerful cleanser. Green veggies are rich in minerals and essential nutrients like calcium, magnesium, potassium, vitamin B and vitamin K, to name just a few.

Specifically, dark leafy varieties such as spinach and kale are high in omega-3 fatty acids. Yes, just like fish. These are vital for all of your bodily functions and can even help lower cholesterol. So, if you’re not a huge fish fan, you’re in luck! Unless you don’t like veggies, then I can’t help you.

Eat them raw, baked, on top of salads, on your pasta, or in your sandwich! When it comes to vegetables, the choices are nearly endless. You don’t need fancy tools or hours of free time. All you need is an open palette, an empty plate, and a good appetite.