SOFI: Society of Free Enquiry

Furman University’s Society for Free Inquiry, or “SOFI”, is “an organization of nontheist students and students who are skeptical or uncertain of traditional religious denominations. It offers support for students who consider themselves atheist, agnostic, skeptic, humanist, etc.

SOFI also welcomes students of religious faith who wish to discuss religion or learn more about those who do not believe. While you may not have heard of it, the group, which is a part of Furman’s Religious Council, has been more visible on campus throughout the past few semesters.

In February, the organization paired up with the Biology Honors Society, Beta Beta Beta, to celebrate Darwin Day. They honored the life work and legacy of the famous evolutionary biologist by setting up a table in the Trone Center where students from both BBB and SOFI distributed informational literature and pro-evolution buttons and stickers to anyone who passed by.

Just before Spring Break, SOFI put on its popular “Coffee with an Atheist” event, which has been occurring once a semester for the past couple of years. The event invites students of any faith (or not) to come together for discussion and friendly debate at the tables outside the library. Leopard Forest coffee and sweet treats are also served. Both “Coffee with an Atheist” events this year have been incredibly successful, even drawing attendees from the Greenville and Presbyterian College communities.

This year, Furman Students from many religious groups braved the cold weather to occupy the tables on the library porch for almost four hours of interesting discussion. Maria Swearingen, the Assistant University Chaplain, has been known to stop by and join the dialogue.

“I always find the various conversations to be welcoming, engaging and formative for all involved”, said Swearingen.

Group members emphasize that the Society for Free Inquiry is not just for the nonreligious. They encourage members of any and all religious traditions to stop by meetings, which occur every other Tuesday at 7 p.m. in Furman Hall 227, to discuss current events, relevant films, and sometimes Harry Potter.