Psychic Readings

For $25, you can know everything you’ve ever wanted to know about your future. Lola King, the psychic, lives in a cozy house just a few miles away from Furman University down on Poinsett Highway with her husband. Earlier this week, I had the pleasure and opportunity of meeting with King who gave me a detailed report about my past, present and future.
Psychic+Readings

Ever wonder how many children you are going to have? Who you’re going to marry? And—lets be honest, we all want to know this—if you are going to be rich?

Think of the psychics you see in movies. Don’t they usually live in some dungy trailer or in a shady alley somewhere? They are usually wearing a substantial amount of makeup, sporting some kind of headpiece or turban, and have uncontrollably curly, witch-like hair.

But unlike fictional psychics, this psychic is not only a very sweet lady dressed in normal jeans and a t-shirt, but she runs her fortune-telling business in the comfort of her own home.

Other then the strong smell of incense, her house is pretty standard. In her living room sits two couches and a television set. On one side of the wall, King proudly displays wedding pictures of her and her husband from back in the day. There are also pictures of their two boys, now grown up and married.

The standard procedure for fortune telling is this: King will have you temporarily bid farewell to your friends who are there for moral support, and lead you into a small room located on the left side. The inside this room is not so standard; there is a significant display of Biblical images hung up on the wall (mostly of Jesus himself), Biblical figurines and plaques with Bible verses stenciled on them. In the room, there are two more chairs that are seated against either end of the wall.

You sit on one end facing her. She asks you to hand her $25 dollars in one hand, make two wishes, and then place the $25 on top of a Bible. Following this, she asks you to tell her one of the wishes you made, and the fortune telling goes from there. King gathers information on the type of person you are based from the energy of your aura, swaying back and forth and closing her eyes occasionally. She will reveal general information that you would want to know, and then follows with a Q & A session where you may ask her specifics. It is important to note that she has a policy where she does not tell her customers negative things that she foresees, for she believes that our destinies and futures are constantly changing and that therefore nothing is permanent.

As you can probably guess from the Biblical images, King and her husbands are devoted Catholics. In fact, King believes that fortune telling was “a gift from the mighty good Lord for the purpose of helping people.”

Since she was a little girl, her mother had noticed she would say things that would somehow coincidentally come true. King eventually took this as a sign from God that it was her life calling and began her fortune-telling business straight after completing high school in her home state of Louisiana.

When I asked her about the fortunes of her and her family, she tells me that she cannot see her own fortune. She believes that this is God’s purpose for her, and accepts everything that happens to her because it is His will and plan. Another interesting fact is that she cannot read the fortunes of anyone in her family, including her two children.

If you are ever looking for something to do on a Saturday night with your friends, if you are tired of sitting in your dorm watching reruns of Family Guy, or if you are just open to a new adventurous experience, I would recommend you consider taking a trip to see King.

Though you may be skeptical at first, you will at least have the pleasure of having a lovely chat with a very sweet lady who happens to know a lot more information about you than most.