Something in the Window Paint for Furman Soccer

The Lady Paladins record one loss and two wins.

Furman's Women's Soccer

Soccer, soccer, soccer! I play soccer! Game tonight! screamed the painted windows of multiple cars on Furman’s campus.

For the past couple of weeks, the Furman soccer teams have rallied the Furman community by decorating their cars with window paint declaring their pride and advertising their games.

Clearly, something’s in the window paint as the women’s team continue their success.

On Sept. 30 , the Lady Paladins dominated Chattanooga, winning 5-1. During an amazing 23 minute stretch in the second half, the ‘Dins netted four goals.

Caitlin Shelton started the streak in the forty-sixth minute. Superstar Stephanie DeVita followed up with two more goals. Junior midfielder, Dee Makris, ensured the 5-1 win with another goal supported by Kristin Fennegan and Ellen Moore.

Unfortunately, the next weekend the female ‘Dins let the victory slip-by against Elon in second half penalty kicks.

With a 1-1 tie in the first half, they fought hard to secure a win at this home game. Yet, fifty-eight minutes in, a Furman defender collected a foul in the box, resulting in a penalty shot.

Elon’s Mel Insley took the kick and locked it in the lower right-hand corner of the net. For keeper Rose Hull, this was her first mark of the 2012 season.

After a penalty kick, the team fought back, controlling possession and keeping Elon away from the goal. Overall, Furman had the advantage with six to five shots on goal during the game.

The Paladins rose from the ashes of their defeat against Elon to crush Western Carolina in a 1-0 shutout. Freshman DeVita once again put the ball where it belongs and scored her sixteenth goal of the 2012 season before halftime. The team also snagged a 1-0 victory against Appalachian State on Sunday.

Repeatedly, DeVita has proved her worth as a key member of the team, supporting most of the goals scored for Furman. DeVita has been noticed by the NCAA and has taken home the title of the Southern Conference Women’s Soccer Player of the Week at the beginning of October.

She added another title a few days later as she was named the SoCon Player of the Month for September.

With only three games left in the 2012 season, the ‘Dins will travel to Statesboro, GA to challenge the Georgia Southern Eagles on Oct. 19.