Professor Profile: Dr. Melanie Cozad, Economics

An interview with new economics professor, Dr. Melanie Cozad.

Where are you from?

Originally from Harrisburg, Pennsylvania. I lived there my whole life until I went to college.

How long have you been living in South Carolina?

I just moved here a month ago in July. I plan to be here for a while.

What is your education background?

I attended the Naval Academy in Annapolis, Maryland where I majored in Economics, followed by Cameron University in Oklahoma where I earned my masters in Master of Business Administration. I also earned a MA and PhD in Economics at the University of Tennessee.

How does a military school compare to a normal college experience?

It was probably a little different than a normal college, because in addition to my normal classes, I also received military training. It was a good experience overall though; the Naval Academy provided me a good education and landed me a job post-graduation.

What job were you offered?

I was a second lieutenant in the Marine Corps, and I served there for five years.

Was a college education at a military school something you had always wanted to pursue?

Not exactly. I was always a very physically active child and was involved in a lot of sports. Because of my strong interests in sports, a friend suggested that the Naval Academy could potentially something to look into.

What sports were you involved in in high school?

I was cross-country runner and also liked to swim.

Are you married? Do you have children?

Yes, I am married. My husband, Kris, and I actually met in the Marine Corps. We do not have children, but we would like to now that we have both completed graduate school.

What are your hobbies?

I still like to swim and run in my free time, but I also have developed an interest in fly-fishing, something that my husband introduced me to. I find it to be a very relaxing sport.

Describe your teaching philosophy.

I guess what I would want my students to take away from my classes is to look at the world from an economist’s perspective, because it is highly beneficial for not only pursuing an Economics major, but in other aspects of life.