Women’s Soccer, DeVita, Rise Above for Multiple Victories

The women’s soccer team benefits from the heroics of freshman Stephanie DeVita.

Freshman year at Furman is something that you never forget—it is sitting in class with strangers, getting your first AV in North Village on a Friday night, actually being excited about the DH food and spending little time in the library.

For most first year students, that is the average freshman life. Except when you are Stephanie DeVita,star forward on Furman’s women soccer team.

Greenville native DeVita joined the ‘Dins this past summer as a forward from Hillcrest High School. The three-time Gatorade/ESPN Rise South Carolina Player of the Year winner immediately began to show her worth in preseason scrimmages, netting two goals against USC-Upstate on Aug. 11.

Most recently, the spotlight is on DeVita as she has carried the win for Furman in the past three games. DeVita gave Clemson a reason to cry with a curling shot from the near post, delivering Furman a 1-0 win in overtime.

Only two days later, DeVita broke the nil-nil tie and received a cross from India Robinson, heading it in for a 1-0 win over Troy. DeVita continued her streak by shutting down Presbyterian College with two goals during the first half and brought the team to a 2-0 victory at the beginning of this month.

For DeVita, soccer has been in her life since she was only six years old. Learning the meaning of hard work and dedication from her soccer icons Alex Morgan and Furman’s own Clint Dempsey, DeVita continues to strive for athletic and academic achievement.

“Stepping up as a freshman is hard at times, but [I] just want to help the team succeed as much as possible,” said DeVita. Relying on her personal drive, support from her teammates and the memory of the Clemson win in her back pocket, the Furman faithful already expect the best from DeVita.

But only time will tell as the Paladins line up against Stetson at home on Sept. 16. Go ‘Dins!