A Look at the Pauper Players’ Upcoming Production: “Tuck Everlasting”

Furman’s Pauper Players present “Tuck Everlasting,” showing from Feb. 9-11.
Evi-Jane Garnett
From left to right: Katelyn Wong ’26, Catherine Farr ’27, Caitlyn Kubista ’27, Ella Boone ’27, Kaia McMullen ’27, Sarah Kennedy ’27.

Furman’s Pauper Players are working hard to put together the final touches for their production of “Tuck Everlasting,” directed by Katie McDaniel ‘26. The musical, which is based on Natalie Babbitt’s children’s novel of the same name, first opened on Broadway in 2016. The show follows 11-year-old Winnie Foster as she meets a family of immortals, the Tucks, and must decide if she wants to return to her life or join the Tuck family in immortality.

When asked why she chose “Tuck Everlasting” as the show she wanted to direct, McDaniel said, “It’s been my favorite show since I was 12 years old, so I always knew I wanted to work on it in some capacity. When I decided I wanted to direct for Pauper, this show was immediately my go-to.”

She felt it was a wonderful choice for Furman students especially.

“We’re at such a pivotal point in our lives, and it’s important to take a step back and reflect on where we’ve come and where we’re going, and to appreciate the short life we’ve been given.”

“The direction of McDaniel has taken (the show) to a new level. The level of attention and care she has put into each scene and each number just elevates it,” Mattie Marks ‘27, who plays Winnie Foster, said. “You can tell she loves this musical.”

Part of McDaniel’s directing includes finding ways to make the production a fresh take on the story.

“I really wanted to focus as well on gender roles and social norms at the time,” McDaniel said. “I think it plays a huge role in Winnie’s story that she is a young girl during the 19th century, who not only has just lost her father but is being told by the people around her that she has to act a certain way.”

Evi-Jane Garnett

Cort Stevenson ‘27, who portrays Jesse Tuck, read the book when he was younger, and found himself drawn to its story.

“I think everyone is a little obsessed with the idea of immortality, but I like the way this show handles it. It focuses less on the logistics of it but more on how others react to it.”

Jesse Tuck is 102 years old, but is stuck mentally and physically as a 17-year-old.

“(He) enjoys the opportunity to be young and see the world, but he’s lacking somebody else to explore it with. He’s not taken as seriously amongst (The Tucks), so he needs someone else to have that childlike energy with.”

That someone turns out to be Winnie Foster, who joins Jesse and the rest of the Tuck family on the adventure of a lifetime.

“It’s a weird circumstance being 19 and having to revert back to this childlike state while still keeping the acting training I’ve gained through the years,” Marks said, reflecting on her role.

The show will be energetic and dance-heavy, including an upbeat tap number. Stage Manager Sara Lowe ‘26 described the show as “a massive spectacle” due to its dance routines and large cast size.

The cast has been enjoying themselves both on and off stage.

“I find myself getting emotional just working with the actors,” Music Director Campbell Lomell ‘24 said.

Stevenson says he and the rest of the Tucks in particular have been bonding.

“We’re playing a family, so we’re trying to get close and really establish those interpersonal connections,” Stevenson said.

McDaniel is also dedicated to utilizing the show as a way to give back to the community. She plans to invite Greenville County schools to see the show and hold book drives at each performance that will then be donated to those schools. They will also hold a rose sale, just as Georgia Thomas ‘26 did with Pauper Players’ fall semester show, “Little Shop of Horrors.” The proceeds of the sale will be donated to the schools.

“Tuck Everlasting” will take place in McAlister auditorium, at 7 p.m. on Feb. 9 and 10, and 2 p.m. on Feb. 11, and is free for Furman students. Audiences should be advised that the show utilizes prop weapons. Tickets are on sale now.