Furman Cancels Brussels Study Away Program

The Politics and International Affairs department’s Brussels study away program was canceled due to an increase in cost. Faculty and staff hope to revive the program but must find creative solutions.
Courtesy of Brent Nelsen

A hallmark program for the Politics and International Affairs department was discontinued due to unsustainable costs in the assessment offered by the previous travel agency last November. 

The semester-long study away and internship program in Brussels, Belgium had run since 2007. Now, Politics department faculty and Rinker Center for Study Away and International Education staff are looking for ways to fill the hole that is left in Furman’s study away offerings. 

According to Nancy Georgiev, Director of Study Away and International Education at the Rinker Center and Paige Blankenship, Assistant Director, a new travel provider was needed in order to comply with Furman’s COVID requirements. The new organization, IES Abroad, did not have a center in Brussels. Along with high housing costs in Brussels, this was the driving factor behind the unsustainable price for the program, which would exceed a regular tuition payment.

Dr. Brent Nelsen of the Politics department typically leads this program, which includes a part-time internship and classes at Vesalius College. He says the experience provided a unique opportunity for students as it combines many characteristics that Politics majors look for in a study away program, such as a central location allowing for easy  travel between countries, an exciting city where “Europe comes together,” high-quality internship opportunities with government institutions and course travel built into the program.

“As far as I know, we’re the only American university that has regular interns in the European Parliament. That’s because we built up relationships with members of the European Parliament over a long period of time,” Nelsen said.

He also explained that the Brussels program is critical in giving Furman students opportunities to explore international government alongside offerings on the local, state, and federal level.

The Politics department and the Rinker Center are exploring alternatives such as Frieburg, Germany; Edinburgh, Scotland; and London, England but, according to Nelsen, the most important thing missing from other programs are internship opportunities in English-speaking countries in international politics. Due to this, Nelsen and members of the Rinker Center would prefer bringing back the Brussels program, but face the challenge of finding a travel provider capable of fitting Furman’s needs at an appropriate cost. 

It is not forever off the table. It’s something where we hope that we can eventually have a good partner there that can support us the way we need to be supported.

— Nancy Georgiev, Director of Study Away and International Education at the Rinker Center

After being advertised at the Oct. 7, 2023 Study Away Fair, the cancellation has led to disappointment among interested students.

“Going to Brussels would have been the perfect opportunity to merge my two majors (Politics and French),” Dani Garcia ‘26 said. “Also, the program would’ve given me necessary experience in a political system different than the one of the U.S. Furman preaches that accessibility to diverse opportunities, and I really looked forward to that one given my interest in international affairs.”

“At the time, the Brussels program was a big reason I came to Furman, so it was disappointing to hear I wouldn’t be able to participate without much explanation.” Sim Colson ‘26 said.

As for the future of the Brussels program, Georgiev says there may be ways to bring it back. 

“It is not forever off the table. It’s something where we hope that we can eventually have a good partner there that can support us the way we need to be supported,” Georgiev said.

If a solution cannot be found, Rinker Center staff hope that alternatives can be found that provide at least some, if not all, of the opportunities that were found in Brussels.