Women’s Soccer, 5-4-5, Prepares for the SoCon Tournament

The Furman Women’s Soccer team begins the season 5-4-5, preparing for the Southern Conference Tournament.

Furman’s Women’s Soccer is amid the SoCon season, battling for a chance to host a game in the Southern Conference Tournament. The Dins are currently 5-4-5 and 1-1-4 in SoCon play, only losing 1-0 to UNCG. Furman is sixth in the Southern Conference with three games left.

The Paladins began the regular season with a trip to Clinton, S.C. where they beat Presbyterian 1-0. This victory kicked off a three-game win streak. After tying with USC Upstate 1-1, the Paladins dropped 3 non-conference games to Clemson, UNC Asheville, and South Carolina. Furman then defeated SC State 2-0 before beginning their SoCon slate.

The Paladins tied ETSU 0-0 and went on to defeat Western Carolina in Cullowhee 2-1. Furman then tied 1-1 with The Citadel. 

On Oct.1, Furman traveled to Chattanooga, Tenn. to face the Mocs. Madison Luckett scored off a pass from Camryn Bolick at the 5:01 mark. The Paladins led until the second half when Chattanooga’s Mackenzie Smith scored. Helen Gutierrez paced the team with 3 shots in the match. In the last few minutes, Ellie Herrmann blocked a shot to protect the tied score. Goalkeeper Addison Corn made seven saves for the Paladins.

On Oct. 5, Furman tied 1-1 with Samford in their annual Cancer Awareness Match. Shania Diaz netted a goal for the Paladins with an assist from Herrmann. Valentina Mosquera and Norah Roller led the team with two shots each. 

The Paladins were undefeated in the Southern Conference until they played UNCG on Oct. 8, losing 1-0.

Fourteen matches into the season, Mosquera leads the team in goals with 5 while freshman Norah Roller has netted 3. Shania Diaz rounds out the team-goal leaders with 2. Ava King tops the Dins with 3 assists, Ashlyn Goila follows behind with 2. Mosquera and Roller lead the team in shots, Mosquera with 20 and Roller with 15.

Goalkeeper Corn has started all 14 games for the Paladins and has a 1.08 goals against average. She has 72 saves throughout the season and is second in the Southern Conference in saves. Corn was also named SoCon Women’s Soccer Defensive Player of the week on Sept. 26. as she posted 3 clean sheets and 0.828 save percentage.

Only three games remain in the regular season for the Paladins. The Paladins will take a trip to VMI today before returning to Stone Stadium on Oct. 15 to play Mercer. Their last regular season game will be in Spartanburg against Wofford on Oct. 22. 

The first round of the Southern Conference tournament will be Oct. 24. The location and opponent for Furman is to be determined. The Furman Women’s Soccer team has a chance to host a tournament game and hopes to win out the season.