Furman Volleyball, 12-3, Looks Strong ahead of SoCon Slate

Furman Volleyball starts the season 12-3 and is looking ahead to the rest of their SoCon slate.

Furman Volleyball head coach Michelle Young earned her 400th career win, as the Dins defeated ETSU 3-2 in a comeback victory on Saturday, Sept. 23. This win improved the team’s season record to 12-3 and 3-1 in the Southern Conference. The Paladins are 9-2 in non-conference play, and it is their best record since 2012.

Three Paladins had double-doubles in Johnson City with Mary Beth Headley collecting 15 kills, while Izzy Castelloe had her first career double-double consisting of 10 kills and 10 blocks. Headley had 10 digs in the match, while Ella Abraham had 10 digs and 40 assists.

Lauren Haynes helped pace the Dins with 15 kills as well. Kennedy Seekford tied her career high of 32 digs. The Buccaneers won the first two sets (25-23, 25-15), but Furman showed resilience and won three straight sets (25-20, 27-25, 15-4) for a come-from-behind defensive victory that saw a season-high 17 blocks.

As Furman Volleyball is looking forward to the SoCon play, Ava Auguston is leading the team with 126 kills so far this season. Headley follows with 111. Seekford leads the Paladins with226 digs while the assist leader is Abraham’s with 401 . 

The Paladins began the season at the Hokie Invitational, a tournament hosted by Virginia Tech. They went 2-1 in the tournament, only losing to the Hokies. They then played two home matches against UNC Asheville, sweeping in both. After beating USC Upstate, the Dins took their only other loss of the season, losing 3-1 to Marshall.

Furman had a six game win streak, beating four non-conference opponents alongside SoCon foes, Western Carolina and ETSU. They faced Wofford on Thursday, Sept. 28 in Spartanburg and taking their only SoCon loss before returning to Alley Gym to beat Samford in a thrilling 3-2 victory.

Their biggest test of the season will come on Oct. 13 when the Citadel arrives in Greenville. The Bulldogs are 14-0 this season, the favorites to win the SoCon, and have preseason all-SoCon outside hitter Ali Ruffin. The Citadel game starts a four-game homestand for the Paladins, where they will also welcome UNC Greensboro, ETSU, and Western Carolina into Alley Gym. 

Furman will play their last home game on Nov. 4 to face the Chattanooga Mocs before they end the season on the road with games at UNCG Greensboro and the Citadel.

The Dins have the chance for a high seed when it comes time for the SoCon tournament, so come support the volleyball team, which is poised for a great season!