The Top 10 Best Movies of 2022 That You Should Absolutely Check Out!

There were a lot of wonderful movies that came out last year. Here are some of the standouts.
Photo Courtesy of unsplash

At the end of every year, I love reading and watching people’s end-of-year lists for all the best movies and shows. It makes me nostalgic to look back on all the fun memories I made throughout the year through the medium of TV and movies. However, something changed this year. There were plenty of end-of-year lists, but each one kept annoying me more and more, and I kept feeling unsatisfied with them. Some lists had movies that were good, but not enough to warrant being called the best of the year. Others had movies that should have been nowhere near a list such as that (looking at you, Avatar 2). Almost none of the lists featured a few of the movies that I thought were technically sound and achieved great emotion through their stories. I was having a hard time finding satisfaction in a lot of the movies that were being touted as the best of the year, until I realized something. I work for a newspaper now! If I do not like those lists, then I can make my own! I can share my own stupid opinions on the movies that came out this year and promote all of the weird ones that I liked. And so here I am, presenting to you my list of what I consider to be the top 10 best movies of 2022!

Black Phone

Black Phone is a fairly simple horror movie, but it left a big impact on me. It follows Finney, a young misfit in a small town who gets kidnapped by the Grabber, a mysterious figure responsible for the disappearances of several boys. The Grabber, played to perfection by Ethan Hawke, holds Finney in an underground basement, leaving him with nothing but a bed, toilet, and a black phone on the wall that has not worked in years. Finney is terrified and desperate to escape to his sister, but does not know what to do. And then, the phone that should not work rings, and on the other line is a boy claiming the Grabber killed him, and he wants to help Finney escape. What follows is a tight, suspenseful thriller that left me on the edge of my seat the whole time.

Glass Onion

I have talked to several of my family and friends about this movie, and, for some reason, a bunch of them keep falling asleep during it. I do not know why that is, because this sequel to Knives Out is a blast! It has got yet another all-star cast entangled in a thrilling mystery, and things quickly turn out to be more complicated than they first appear. Daniel Craig returns as the phenomenal Benoit Blanc, the hilarious detective who once again finds himself caught in the middle of a murder plot, one that he’s not impressed by. I was having the time of my life as I fell down this rabbit hole of conspiracy, blackmail, and murder, only to come out on the other side kicking myself for failing to see the shockingly simple answer that was staring at me the entire time. If you are a fan of mystery stories, then this film is a must-see.

The Innocents

This Norwegian horror film might not be for everyone, as the movie does not pull its punches, relying not on gore and jumpscares to unsettle the audience, but, instead, delving into the farthest reaches of what lies in human nature to provide its scares. What makes the film even more disturbing is that it focuses on the psyches of children, and the horrific things that can happen when kids come across forces they do not understand. Some of the places that this movie goes can be too much for a lot of more casual horror fans, but if you are brave enough to check out this look into the surprisingly unsettling nature of children, you will not be disappointed. I should probably warn you though, if you are a pet lover, then this movie might be a rough watch (do not get too attached to the cat).

Banshees of Inisherin 

This film is strange, but I get more captivated every time I watch it, so I would be remiss to not include it on this list. It is a story of two longtime friends, Colm and Padraic, who find themselves at odds when one day Colm decides suddenly that he does not want to be friends with Padraic anymore. What follows is a deeply engaging character study that is funny at times, other times unnerving, and oftentimes sad as the viewer navigates the quickly dissolving bond between the two friends. The tale is certainly not very straightforward, and the viewer is likely to walk away with more questions than answers; however, these factors do not make this any less of a worthwhile experience for those willing to explore the question of what gives our lives purpose and meaning, and who that purpose is meant to be fulfilled with.

Bullet Train

Sometimes, simpler is better. Such is the case with Bullet Train, a slick action comedy that follows Brad Pitt as a hitman codenamed Ladybug who boards a bullet train in Japan to steal an important briefcase. The job seems simple, until Ladybug learns that he is far from the only hitman on this train, and his simple mission turns into a fight for his life against several bizarre killers. A schoolgirl, a grouchy conductor, an anime mascot, and a bottle of water. Who among them can be a threat? And why are so many assassins all gathered in one place? Is it by sheer coincidence? Or could there be something deeper going on? The story is simple, but also very tight and engaging for the viewer. The fight scenes and choreography are superb, and the jokes land. Give this thriller a chance, and you will walk away with fun, excitement, and maybe even a desire to watch Thomas the Tank Engine.

Nope

I have already taken a few risks putting The Innocents and Bullet Train on this list, but this movie by far is the biggest self-indulgence for me. I have talked to friends and family about this movie, and there is a sharp divide between those who liked Nope and those who did not, claiming that the film is unorganized and takes too long to get started. That being said, I still believe that Nope’s highs more than make up for these flaws and even soar above them. Daniel Kaluuya and Keke Palmer are phenomenal in their roles as two siblings running a ranch for show horses, and it is almost impossible not to relate to them as they face an otherworldly threat. Jordan Peele’s masterful camera work magnifies the fear and tension as an ominous and violent struggle between man and nature unfolds. There will definitely be some who do not enjoy this movie as much as me, but for the ones who do, this is a breathtaking tour-de-force that will stay with you all year round.

The Batman

Why would one need to watch yet another retelling of Bruce Wayne’s tragic backstory, especially one that stretches over three hours? The answer is because this movie might be the rawest and grittiest Batman story we have seen yet. Batman and Detective Gordon are forced to solve a series of grotesque murders in order to catch the nefarious Riddler. The Riddler here is not an energetic Jim Carrey running around in tights, but a deranged serial killer hellbent on slaughtering the elite in Gotham who abuse their power. Watching Batman follow the dark trail of secrets and corruption running through Gotham to catch Riddler is a captivating thrill ride. The film is made complete with stellar action, intoxicating cinematography, thoughtful character work, an epic car chase, and even a profound look into Batman not as a man, but as a symbol of vengeance and whether that vengeance is the same thing as the justice Bruce Wayne fights for. 

RRR

This Indian film is phenomenal, even though the act of recommending it can be a bit of a labor. Yes, it is another movie that is over three hours long. Yes, it is subtitled. Yes, it is a musical. But do you know what RRR also is? Epic. It might just be one of the most epic things I have seen all year. It has got heart-stopping action, an amazing bromance, some killer songs, absurdly over-the-top stunts, and one of the best dance-offs of all time. No joke, the dance-off is like nothing you have ever seen before. RRR is a captivating journey from start to finish, and if you like to be wowed and excited by cinema, I highly encourage you to move past any reservations you might have about a three hour foreign film and just trust that you are in good hands.

Puss in Boots: The Last Wish

This has been somewhat of a lackluster year for animated movies, and I was worried that I would not be able to feature one on this list. Then I saw Puss in Boots: The Last Wish, and my faith in God was restored. This movie is one of the funnest rides I have had in a really long time. It is bright, colorful, energetic, and chock-full of hilarious characters all duking it out in a magical forest to try and reach the titular last wish. None of this comes at the expense of heart and emotion, however, as the film has both of these in spades as well. It is a standalone film in the franchise, so you do not need to watch the first Puss in Boots movie to see this one, nor do you need to see any of the Shrek movies (though I would recommend it because this movie has some god-tier allusions to Shrek). It is an absolute joyride for kids and adults alike, topped only by the masterpiece that is #1.

Everything Everywhere All at Once

Are you happy with your life? Do you think that you have made good choices for yourself and that you are as happy as you could be? Is there anything that you wish you had done differently? These are the questions that lie at the core of Everything, Everywhere, All at Once, and the questions that are explored beautifully with love, compassion, kick-ass martial arts, unrivaled absurdism, one of the best scores I have ever heard, and an amazing sense of humor. I would go into more details about the story and plot, but I feel that the less you know going into this movie, the better your experience will be with it. What I will say, though, is that this is not just the greatest movie of the year, but probably the last few years as well. It spoke to me in ways that no other movie quite has before. Please, do yourself a favor and go find a place to watch this movie now, otherwise you might never realize the greatest potential that a movie has to speak to you as a human being. I hope to discuss this film’s wondrous glory with you soon.