Furman Takes Tough Double Overtime Loss vs. Chattanooga, 51-44

The fourth-quarter run not enough to propel the Paladins to victory against Chattanooga at Timmons Arena.

The Furman Women’s Basketball Team took on conference opponents the Chattanooga Mocs on Saturday, Jan. 21. The seven-point double overtime loss puts the Paladins at 9-11 on the season. 

Chattanooga took control early with their lead hovering around six points for much of the first half. A last-second layup by sophomore guard Janay Outten cut the lead to four going into halftime. The Mocs extended their lead to eight in the third quarter. The Paladins struggled from the foul line in the first three quarters, shooting 3/11 on free throws. 

The Paladins stormed back in the fourth, holding the Mocs to just two points in the quarter. Furman’s 10-2 run sent the game into overtime where both teams would score just four points, neither gaining any ground. Double-overtime, however, was a different story with Chattanooga outsourcing the Dins by 7 thus winning the game 51-44.

Forward Grace van Rij, who had 12 points on 50% shooting, led the Dins in scoring. Guard Sydney James had a big night on the boards grabbing a whopping 21 rebounds throughout the game while also putting up nine points.

The Paladins look to bounce back on the road, facing Samford on Thursday, Jan. 26.