Interview with Mike Bothwell and Joe Anderson of Men’s Basketball

The Paladin interviewed Mike Bothwell and Joe Anderson on Dec. 1. We heard from two of Furman Basketball’s finest players about their outlooks for the 2022-23 Southern Conference basketball season and more. 

Question: What is the main difference between home and away games? How does the difference in energy affect the outcome of the game? 

Joe Anderson: With home games, we have our crowd behind us, and it helps us keep the other team out of their flow, and vice versa. The hard part is just not listening to the crowd at away games. 

Question: In most pre-season games, Furman has consistently performed better in the second half. How long does it take to get a real sense of the opposing team and secure your rhythm? 

Mike Bothwell: You want to play better as the game goes on, but you definitely want to get a strong start as fast as possible. After just a couple plays, you can see the tendencies of the opposing team and what they like to do. It is completely different from scouting versus seeing their plays in person. 

Question: Are you taking notes of certain players for scouting or looking at just the general tactics of the team? 

Mike Bothwell: Our coach always has a very detailed report on every single player on the team, if they can shoot or not, who they put on the floor, if they like to shoot from right or left. 

Question: When Coach Richey is talking during half-time, does he go over the scouting plan? 

Joe Anderson: He will go over scout plans and say what we are doing well and what we need to focus more on for each opposing player and how to close out certain people and things like that. 

Question: What are your thoughts on this season? How optimistic is Furman? 

Mike Bothwell: We are definitely very optimistic. We were picked first in the media and coaches’ polls, so we are trying to get better every day and take it game by game.