Furman Dominates ETSU, 70-56

Redshirt-junior Marcus Foster scored 21 points and grabbed 11 boards to lead Furman to a 70-56 win over East Tennessee State in the Southern Conference men’s basketball action.

The Furman Paladins continued a series of away games (WCU, ETSU, Mercer) with a dominant win against the East Tennessee State University Buccaneers, bringing their conference record to 3-1 and their overall record of the season to 12-5. Throughout the early weeks of the Southern Conference season, Furman has demonstrated dominating wins against the Citadel and VMI, with only one loss to the Western Carolina Catamounts so far. 

The first half of the game saw the Paladins start their offense with a clean three-pointer shot from Jalen Slawson (forward), and the Paladins would take a consistent lead against ETSU for the first half of the game. Notable players included Marcus Foster (guard) and Slawson demonstrating a fantastic offensive effort, ending the halftime score with the Paladins leading 37-23. The two players consistently positioned themselves outside of the three-point arc and created passions options for Furman guards such as JP Pegues whenever the guards found themselves overwhelmed by the ETSU defense. As a result, both Foster and Slawson scored numerous three-pointers.

The second half of the game saw the Paladins maintain a consistent scoring with ETSU, with no gains or losses in the Dins’ lead at the conclusion of the second half, bringing the final score to 70-56 and a dominating away win for Furman. The game also served as a highlight for Jalen Slawson and Mike Bothwell’s time at Furman with the Din victory over ETSU serving as their 100th career win.