SGA Launches Senior Class Gift

Understanding this year’s class gift process!
Courtesy of Furman University Development Office
Pictured are the four Senior Class SGA Representative (left to right): Lauren Pollino, Virginia Wayt, James Lalonde). 

With graduation seven months away, it is time to start the Senior Gift! Senior classes before the Class of 2023 have planned, fundraised and presented their gift to Furman during commencement and now, as we step into our last year at Furman, it is our turn.  

The Senior Gift is led by the Senior Class Representatives of SGA (Lauren Pollino, James Lalonde, Virginia Wayt, and myself), the Development Office, and a handful of Senior Gift volunteers. Contrary to common thought, the Senior Gift is not a physical gift but, instead, a monetary one. A senior class has not given a physical Senior Gift in many years, well before the class of 2023 joined campus. Until the early 2000s, most senior classes donated money to help support campus beautification projects such as the DH patio, North Village Gate, and the Amphitheatre. In 2013, there was a shift to support academic and student experiences as well as scholarships. The gift is not just about raising the most money, but it is about the continued support of the resources we had access to so that the classes after us can continue having the same opportunities. Giving financially is an easy way for the Class of 2023 to ensure our legacy will be left. 

This year, the Senior Gift is anywhere you want! Seniors may donate to up to five existing funds on campus as their contribution to the Senior Gift. We chose this option as the gift to allow seniors freedom in deciding where their money should go. If you have a particular area of Furman, such as clubs or major departments, that are important to you, your gift can go to those areas that mean the most to you. 

Oct. 6th was the official launch of the Senior Gift. The Class of 2023 was invited to a happy hour at the Paddock to celebrate the start of the gift and to learn more about it. For those who still have questions or want to learn more, here are some quick facts: 

The Senior Class Gift is open and accepting donations. Class of 2023, please consider donating and allow the classes after us to continue having the same great Furman experience we did. 

Please visit furman.edu/seniorclassgift or use a personal link to make your donation or to find current information!