Rocky Horror: Furman’s Sexiest Halloween Tradition

Courtesy of Virginia Wayt

Coming to campus for the fourth year in a row, Pauper Players’ production of The Rocky Horror Picture Show is an exciting, unique experience that students are sure to enjoy. For the past four years on the Saturday before Halloween, Pauper Players, Furman’s student run theatre troupe, has brought Rocky Horror to life.

“When I was a freshman there were no Halloween traditions,” Said Virginia Wayt ’24, the director for this year’s production, “But now, Rocky is the Halloween tradition…[we]schedule it out every Halloween weekend of every year…it’s easily the sexiest show on campus.” Even those who have already seen the show are encouraged to return, “We’re doing the same show every year, but every year, it gets better because both the audience and the actors are more excited,” commented Wayt.

The film tells the story of a newlywed couple, who find themselves caught in a storm, leading them to the house of Dr. Frank N. Furter, a “transvestite” mad-scientist on the night that he is unveiling a new creation. As the night carries on and things don’t quite go to plan, chaos ensues to an amazing rock-soundtrack. This 1970s cult classic is not just a fun experience, but an important part of queer history. “It was the first movie of its kind,” said Wayt. Rocky Horror was one of the first movies that didn’t vilify a queer character and has since become a celebration of the fluidity of gender and sexuality.

Although it was unpopular at first, the film grew in popularity through midnight showings. With a loyal fan base growing, audiences began to call out lines. These film viewings began to grow into what the show has become today. “The show is more about the experience,” said Wayt. Students are encouraged to dress up in their Halloween costumes and participate through-out the show with yelling obscenities, callouts and noisemakers. This year’s on campus show happens to be on the same day as the homecoming football game. Wayt predicts that this may play into the energy of the audience and that, “hopefully the crowd will be really rowdy.”

The Pauper Players’ production will be a shadow cast, with actors on stage mouthing the words and acting along with the movie that will be playing behind them. While there is some flexibility and creative liberty, Wayt said that they remain true to the movie. “A shadow cast is a very different experience to any other type of musical show,” explained Wayt, “but it’s very special.” The cast is a very talented mix of old and new faces. “I don’t want to give too much away, but we’ve got a really wonderful cast,” said Wayt. 

This one-night only event takes place on October 29 at 7 p.m. in Daniel Theatre, with doors opening at 6:30. But people line up long before the doors open, so make sure to get there early. Tickets are free, but they are first come first serve. The Pauper Players hope to see the return of a large audience as COVID-19 restrictions have been lifted. “We’re going to have the best show yet,” said Wayt, “probably the biggest crowd turn out.” So make sure to come out and support the Pauper Players and participate in one of Furman’s growing traditions.