Water Levels in Furman Lake

Furman Lake has recently experienced some changes in water level–why?
Courtesy of Lana Aga
Furman Lake with low water levels in late August.

Furman’s lake is an integral part of campus. So, when students arrived on campus and the lake water levels were low, rumors began to arise. Some speculated the lake was drained to reduce the amount of E. coli in the water, while others hypothesized the reduction was to prevent waterfowl from landing in the water. Some even guessed Furman wanted to begin dredging again, and others believed the university wanted to reduce vegetation growing in the lake.

However, the reason behind the low water levels is mundane: a storm drain was compromised and the maintenance crew needed a lower water level to fix it. Superintendent of Grounds and Sports Turf, David Manning told The Paladin in an interview that the lake drainage was intentional and none of the wildlife living in the lake would be harmed in the reduction of the water levels.

“We are hoping for our rainfall to pick up shortly,” said Manning. “We are in the season for tropical developments and this could help refill the lake.”

In the month of September, Greenville has recorded a total of 4.32 inches of rain. The level of water in Furman Lake appears to be normal, and may take on more water with the incoming tropical storms.