The Return of the Tailgate

If there was one good thing born of last semester’s mess, it was a new and improved tailgate design.
Furman University Instagram
Now that tents were inside the stadium, students could continue socializing and tailgating while actually watching the football game.

Students’ return to campus this fall also means the return of college football, but on Furman’s campus, football’s homecoming is hardly the groundbreaking event many on the outside would perceive it to be. In the past years, even pre-pandemic, Furman football tailgates were bland. While unfair to compare our tailgates to those of larger SEC or ACC schools, it seems fair to say that the activity around the Furman Mall on game days was pretty sad, even by Furman standards. The “hype” was truthfully isolated to a few fraternity tents, and the only fan noise one would hear if passing by was the occasional — and frankly half-hearted —“FU 1 times, FU 2 times, FU 3 times, FU all the time” chant in the stands. Plus, tailgating was usually done on the mall, giving students no incentive to actually go into the game — most actually did not. 

Truthfully, the only draws to the tailgate were the Greek life tents. But if you were not a freshman looking to rush or an upperclassman already in a fraternity/sorority, there was not anything else to do. In fact, it was socially uncomfortable to go to the tailgates if you did not identify with one of those select groups. And of those who did decide to visit a tent or two before the game, many could be seen walking back to Lakeside at kickoff or still tailgating, Chick-fil-a cup in hand, mid- game, completely oblivious to the tackling going on just yards away. Essentially, past football tailgates never left participants with an overwhelming sense of school pride — the more resounding sentiment was typically disappointment, or in early September games, heat exhaustion. 

But that was pre-COVID. Furman promised that they would introduce an entirely new fan experience this fall and, though my hopes were low, I was quite surprised by the success of this year’s first tailgate. 

First, there were rugby scrimmages running continuously on a field adjacent to the stadium prior to kickoff. With multiple 20 minute games, people could go watch the matches when they wanted, meaning spectators constantly had something to keep them busy before kickoff. The “fan area” also kept people busy — and fed — before kickoff. A variety of food trucks offered bites to eat (fans could choose from noodles, ice cream, shaved ice and more all depending on their particular craving) and live music kept spirits high. 

But what was perhaps most responsible for this new, fun atmosphere was the change in tailgating location. Now that tents were inside the stadium, students could continue socializing and tailgating while actually watching the football game. Plus, Furman updated policies to allow the drinking of alcoholic beverages openly for those 21+. Prior to this change, students could not have alcoholic drinks in the stadium; considering this regulation, you can imagine how many never even made it inside the stadium. And though much of the tailgating inside the stadium was still fraternity and sorority focused, the increased activities and new tent locations made attending the tailgate and game a more enjoyable experience for those not associated with Greek organizations. 

While this year’s opening tailgate was a change in the positive direction, Furman could still do more to increase school spirit, attendance, and overall “hype” for the games. Themes could be a great way to accomplish this. An all-campus “black-out,” or in Furman’s case  “purple-out,” could add new spirit and fun to tailgates and games. Along with themes, pre-kickoff activities not associated with Greek life tents could help draw a wider variety of students to games: yard games are popular for all ages, so a few corn hole boards strewn about are never a bad thing. But importantly, football games are moving in a more fun direction — we can just hope the progress continues.