A Campus Winter Wonderland

Students were pleasantly surprised Saturday night when snow began falling.
Lily Sanford
Many of your fellow Paladins enjoyed a night out in the snow. Here are some highlights from the night.

Friday and Saturday kept Furman students checking their weather apps anxiously as the promise and probability of snow kept increasing as time inched closer and closer to 8:00pm on Saturday. While locals and other Southerners shrugged off the 100% chance of snow, many others remained optimistic as the rain began around 5:30pm. Around 6:15pm, the rain solidified into a slushy sleet, and finally, as promised, turned into large fluffy flakes of white snow around 8:00pm. 

As students realized what was falling from the sky, they bundled in their warmest clothes, grabbed whatever flat plastic they could find, and dashed outside to the quickly-forming winter wonderland. Students made the most of the short-lived cold conditions, forming teams for snowball fights in the Clark Murphy quad, walking to the Bell Tower, making snowmen, and attempting to sled or even ski down on-campus slopes.

Students also decided to photograph what many will certainly remember as a bright spot in a difficult semester as COVID-19 restrictions have limited on-campus activities options. In a word, the snowfall was a sort of relief, a momentary break from the monotony of campus life during the pandemic. Sophomore Tom Whittemore agreed, saying “It was a fun way to spend a Saturday night, not cooped up inside.” 

While the snow was short-lived, the photos and memories remain. Below readers can find photos students took during the flurries and see how they enjoyed their night in the cold. Hopefully campus will see more snow this semester, and students can enjoy six more weeks of winter.

Below are some highlights from Saturday’s snow extravaganza:

Taken by Katherine McCann
Taken by Kerry Black
Taken by Caroline Brooks
Taken by Rachel Kelly
Taken by Rachel Kelly
Taken by Luke Sommerdyke
Taken by Luke Sommerdyke