Furman Defeats Rival Wofford in White-Out at the Well

It was a thrilling game, to say the least. This past weekend, the men’s basketball team concluded the Weekend at the Well series against Southern Conference rival, the Wofford Terriers. The teams went back and forth the whole game, but at the buzzer, Furman led to victory, 67-66. Over 6,000 people were in attendance. 

The game was low scoring for the beginning of the first half, which continued to go back and forth on which team was in the lead. Towards the end of the first half, Wofford gained a lead on the Paladins, and the score was 33-26 at halftime.

At the beginning of the second half, Wofford had energy out of the locker room to put the Terriers 11 points up on Furman. However, the Paladins retaliated with an 11 point run to tie the game back up, 43-43. 

Wofford continued to edge out Furman, always one basket ahead. With less than four minutes in the game, sophomore forward Noah Gurley’s layup gives Furman its first lead of the half. Wofford continued to push and took the lead back with under a minute to go. Fans were on the edge of their seats as the Dins continued to push, but kept missing opportunities for points.

With 12 seconds left, sophomore guard Mike Bothwell’s layup allowed Furman to take a one-point lead, 67-66. Minimal time left in the game, Wofford was unable to make a basket, and Furman won the game.

This game concluded the three-game Weekend at the Well series at Bon Secours Wellness Arena. Furman won the first downtown match-up earlier in December against Winthrop. In January, the Paladins could not keep up with UNC Greensboro’s offense and lost the second game of the series. 

Currently, as of Feb. 23, Furman is tied with UNC Greensboro in the Southern Conference standings, with a record of 13-3 in the conference. ETSU is at the top of the standings with a record of 14-2. The Paladins have two more games remaining, with one against UNC Greensboro. Furman will conclude the season at home against the Citadel, who has yet to win a game in the conference. UNC Greensboro will have more of a difficult last game, playing Chattanooga. Once the regular season is over, the Dins will prepare for the Southern Conference Championship in March.