Furman Lacrosse Won’t Re(LAX)

Furman Lacrosse Won’t Re(LAX)

Furman lacrosse began their spring season with a handful of Southern Conference honors, and a snowy Saturday game. 

Furman’s Lady Paladins start their season as the reigning SoCon Regular Season Champions after an 11-8 record. Two of last year’s top three scorers, junior Hannah Demis and senior Grace Pollak, returned to the offensive scheme on a high note.  

Pollak and Demis led the Paladin’s to their 14-11 home-opening win over East Carolina, each recording five goals on the day. Teammates Leah Nonnenmann and Sydney Catts tallied two goals a piece, and freshman goalkeeper Megan Deehan recorded six saves in her first career start. Furman women swept the SoCon honors of the week, with Pollak earning offensive player of the week, and Deehan earning defensive. 

Against Fresno State, junior Kyra Lamotte recorded a hat trick for Furman’s second win of the season. Three other Paladins tallied two goals a piece, and Deehan overpowered the Fresno offence with 10 saves. 

Women’s lacrosse started their road games off with two tough losses at Liberty and Davidson, but look forward to a week of recovery time before traveling to Johns Hopkins on Saturday, Feb. 29.  

Coming out of a 4-10 2019 season, men’s lacrosse looks to make an impact with Preseason All-SoCon goalkeeper Alec Van de Bovenkamp, power defenseman Cole Horan, and veteran attackman Caron Sorrells. 

After dropping their season opener to Bucknell, the Paladins blew out Hampton 19-4 in a snowy home opener. Sorrells powered the offensive scoring game with a hat trick, backed by goals from twelver different Paladins. Van de Bovenkamp recorded six saves, making room for freshman goalkeeper Andrew Jenet to get two saves in his first appearance. 

The Paladins traveled, and lost, to Navy and Utah, but share the same week of rest as the women’s squad before heading on the road again to face Duke on Mar. 1. 

Both teams have high quality opponents scheduled for the first half of the season before hitting SoCon matchups in late March.