Influential Paladin: Devin Wynn

Influential Paladin: Devin Wynn

Junior tailback Devin Wynn has quickly emerged as a premier runner in the Southern Conference. In his sophomore season, Wynn rushed for 722 yards and six touchdowns to help lead Furman to a share of the Southern Conference title. He finished sixth in the league for rushing yards overall.

This season Wynn has already had a more significant impact on the Paladin offense. At Wofford Wynn became the first Paladin to rush over 1,000 yards on a season since 2013, topping that milestone off with 13 Furman touchdowns. He is the 16th player in Furman history to complete the honor. It has been no easy feat to have consistent success under the changing offense, but Wynn has become a staple of the offensive strategy under two different quarterbacks. 

“We are a multi-offensive team, we all compliment each others’ playing style and our coaches put us in the best position for the best outcome,” says Wynn about the changing offense. 

His outstanding season has earned him a nomination for the Blanchard-Rogers Trophy, South Carolina’s Heisman. Wynn is nominated alongside Clemson QB Trevor Lawrence and several other outstanding players hailing from South Carolina. 

“The nomination is an honor but the most important thing for me right now is winning the championship.” 

(out of date now but you can make the call…)

Alongside the Blanchard-Rogers nomination, Wynn has been honored twice this season as Southern Conference Offensive Player of the Week. He first received this honor after a career high 217 rushing yards against Samford, and received the second honor following Furman’s domination of VMI, in which Wynn carried for 102 yards and five touchdowns. Against Southern Conference rival Wofford, Wynn struggled at only 56 yards and the ‘Dins fell 24-7 against the Terriers.

The Paladins claim second in the league at 6-2 in conference play, and will finish their regular season play at home against Point University.