Men’s Soccer in Full Stride

Now eight games into the season, Furman men’s soccer is deep into gameplay with the approach of SoCon matchups.

Last week, the Paladins hosted UNC Asheville for the home opener. That first home game was also the Gray Griffin Memorial in honor of Paladin defender, Griffin, who was killed in a tragic accident his freshman year in 2002. 

The game started quickly for the Paladins, with freshman Shaun-Chris Joash scoring a minute in. The UNC Asheville Bulldogs used aggressive play to their advantage, and in the first half tied the score 1-1. 

The second half was filled with back and forth opportunities for both teams. UNC Asheville recorded 16 fouls in the game, including a few yellow cards, compared to Furman’s six fouls. 

In the heat of the final minutes with the game still tied, the Paladins took the ball up near the Bulldogs’ goal. With 11 seconds remaining, senior Emery May scored to take the lead and the win for the Paladins. May was selected as the player of the game in honor of Gray Griffin, chosen by his father, Al Griffin. 

Later that week, the Paladins took down Davidson, 3-2. May scored to start the lead for the Paladins, and after the Wildcats scored to tie it, senior Jack Shiels scored to take back the lead once again. After the Wildcats tied the game late in the game, sophomore Miles Fenton scored in the 87th minute to win the game.

After a tough loss against South Carolina in Columbia, the Paladins looked to keep the home win streak alive, playing USC Upstate in the Hall of Fame night. The team had no issue against the Spartans, scoring the first three goals. The Spartans were able to score one goal, but Furman finished the game off, 4-1. 

The Paladins will take on Clemson at home on Sept. 24, then head on the road to Presbyterian on Sept. 28.