Cross Country Soars In Charlotte Opener

Furman’s cross country teams shined on Friday, August 30th, at the Charlotte Opener. During the first race of the season, both the men’s and women’s teams were victorious as they took first place in their respective races.

The women’s team finished the 5k race with runners in the top five spots, receiving a perfect score of 15 points. Senior Gabbi Jennings crossed the finish line first with a time of 17:48, followed by the next four runners: senior Savannah Carnahan, junior Krissy Gear, senior Emma Grace Hurley and freshman Lauren Peterson.

The men’s team was also successful, finishing the 5k race with runners in first and third place with a total of 23 points. Senior Ryan Adams came in first place with a time of 15:02:8 and junior Daniel Bernal finished in third.

Runner Spotlight: Gabbi Jennings and Ryan Adams were also named Southern Conference Runners of the Week after their impressive first place performances at the Charlotte Opener.

The Paladins look to build momentum, push forward, and continue to race towards success. Furman fans will cheer on the men’s and women’s teams as they prepare for the next race, the Eye Opener, on Friday, Sept. 13.