Making Change a Priority

Jesse Tompkins ‘20 is a philosophy major from Irmo, South Carolina. He is also Furman’s SGA president. So—with respect to both his major and his position in student government—he often fields the question,“what do you want to do with that?”

Tompkins answers this question with confidence and a smile. He has a vision, not only for his future, but for Furman’s. With respect to his major, he wants to use his foundation in philosophy to study higher-ed administration in graduate school. And as SGA President, Tompkins has already begun to make a difference on Furman’s campus.

Among Tompkins’ priorities are reshaping Furman’s public transportation systems to be more accessible and sustainable, empowering SGA representatives with the structure and support to make a tangible impact, and focusing on continuing to improve diversity and inclusion at Furman. Though they are still in the “goal setting stage,” Tompkins is “really optimistic” that he and his team of executive officers will be able to carry out their agenda, which will be further informed by a student survey that SGA is currently working on executing. 

Tompkins’ confidence is derived from his experience. When reflecting on his time as SGA class president his sophomore year, Tompkins said that he “really enjoyed” his experience, “but also saw a lot of ways that (SGA) could be improved.” Moreover, as a member of the Shucker Leadership Institute, FUSAB, and a number of other student organizations, Tompkins knows the landscape of clubs and organizations at Furman like the back of his hand. Though to some it may seem like he is overextended, Tompkins values his exposure to other organizations on campus and believes that knowing the ins-and-outs of other student groups has prepared him to be a better SGA President. 

When asked how he balances all of his commitments, Tompkins explained that “it’s not easy,” but this year he decided to “really be intentional” and prioritize SGA because “it is where I’ve seen the most change happen… I can make long term meaningful impact, like students feeling that they belong and their presence matters on campus.” This year, it is safe to say that Tompkins’ passion for inclusion and his dedication to student government will likely define his tenure as SGA President.