Distance Dominates SoCon Meet

distance 1
Photo Courtesy of FURMAN ATHLETICS Junior Savannah Carnahan took home the 3,000m title and set a new meet record finishing in 9:11.04.

distance 2
Photo Courtesy of FURMAN ATHLETICS The Paladins’ womens distance medley finished first and set the SoCon Championship meet record with a time of 11:52.94.

Furman Track and Field continued their distance dominance Sunday taking home four titles in the final day of the Southern Conference championships.

The Paladins started an impressive weekend Saturday as the women’s team took home titles in both the distance medley and the 3,000m races.

The women’s distance medley team of sophomores Krissy Gear, Carlan Baran, Emma Kuntz and junior Emma Grace Hurley. The medley set a new SoCon Championship meet record with a time of 11:52.94, topping the record set last year by none other than the Paladin women.

Junior Savannah Carnahan took home the SoCon title in the 3,000m race while Hurley and junior Grace Dwyer joined her in the top five. Carnahan set a new meet record with a time of 9:11.04, obliterating the previous record by 16 seconds.

Carnahan and the Paladins did not finish there, taking their dominance into the last day of the meet Sunday.

The Furman women swept the 5,000m race, claiming the first five spots. Carnahan took home the 5,000m title, followed by Hurley in second, junior Gabbi Jennings in third, junior Jennifer Stephenson in fourth and Dwyer in fifth to round out the sweep.

On the men’s side, senior Ryan Adams defended his 800m title with a time of 1:53.18. Adam finished second in the mile behind Furman’s own junior Jake Ogden, who won with a time of 4:19.15. Freshman Cameron Ponder took third in the mile and earned a spot on the SoCon All Freshman team.

Senior Frank Lara finished his SoCon career on top, repeating as the men’s 5,000m champion. Lara set a new facility record at the VMI indoor track in Lexington, Va. with an impressive time of 14:18.66. Junior Mason Coppi finished third, sophomore Daniel Bernai in fourth and sophomore Trenton Mandato in fifth.

Furman will start the 2019 outdoor season March 29-30 as they compete in both the Raleigh Relays and the Wofford Invitational.